overclocked nvidia 6800 question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej25lvr, May 7, 2005.

1. ej25lvr

ej25lvr Private First Class

for my 6800 i went to clock freq setting and clicked detect optimal freq settings the defaults were core clock 325 mhz and memory 700 mhz. the detect optimal freq setting moved it up to core clock 351mhz and memory 751 mhz. i figured this is pretty safe so i left it be weird thing is mt 6800 now runs way cooler than it ever was on the default settings. default it ran 61c and now with settings bumped up it stays at a steady 50 to 51c. just kinda weird i thought. any ideas?

2. Olley

Olley Sergeant

this has happened to many people... i think its a driver issue, which ones are u using?

3. ej25lvr

the ones that came on cd with the card

4. Olley

Olley Sergeant

ok...cause most people i have heard with this temp drop r using the 7x.xx drivers...try some new drivers, u probably wont get rid of the drop in temp (good or bad, dont really know), but u will most likely get better gaming performance and stability.. which card do u have exactly?

5. ej25lvr

its an evga nvidia geforce 6800

6. ej25lvr

ok i may have made some sense of it when i chose apply for the changed speeds there is a box checked fan always on. in defaut the box isnt checked so the fan i guess turns on and off according to load maybe? works for me the cooler the better.

7. ej25lvr

i cant remember where i saw it but it was on this site its some kind of add on to the nvidia display setting it adds a spot that say frequency setting someone else might know more,but i cant remember where i saw it. is your card a 6800 series?

8. ej25lvr

sorry but im not really sure in your case. i didnt have to go into the bios for mine, i just right clicked on my desktop and selected nvidia display and there are diffrent setting in it. sorry i cant be any help im pretty new to alot of this myself learning as i go

9. Olley

Olley Sergeant

you need to download coolbits 2 or rivatuner to overclock...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds