Overclocking AMD 64

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djcalzar, Mar 8, 2008.

1. djcalzar

djcalzar Private E-2

I have Overclocked my AMD 64 3000+ to 2.6Ghz but was wondering how far I can push this? I guess just increasing it step by step until the dreaded Blue Screen Of Death happens.

What do you guys think?

2. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

i overclocked my AMD Athlon 64 3200+ from 2.0Ghz to 2.4Ghz, any higher than that and my system won't boot...(overclocking from the BIOS)

3. djcalzar

djcalzar Private E-2

Yeah I think I've sort of answered my own question but wanted to see what others though I can push mine to 2.6Ghz any higher and it crashes when doing anything really complicated like a defrag. Still 2.6 from 2Ghz I think is pretty good.

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

An overclock needs to be stable. Once you o/c your system you should run Prime95 (or other) and test stability for at least 24hrs.

Remember that o/cing your system may require more vcore and as such will increase cpu temp so good cooling is a must.

Good Luck

5. djcalzar

djcalzar Private E-2

Will try that although I can quite happily leave it running overnight and all day at 2.06 so I think that's pretty stable.;)

6. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

You really should run Prime95 which will stress the CPU a bit and provide good reassurance that the system really is stable and the CPU will work reliably even when it's working hard.

7. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

Depends on the sockettype of your A64. I have a socket 754 A64 3200+. I can get it from 2.2 to 2.8ghz, but the mobo isn't stable at that (no pci lock makes it wanna crap out). With enough voltage/cooling, i believe you could reach 2.8-3.0ghz on the A64.

8. Core2Conroe

Core2Conroe Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds