overclocking and bios settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by haysoos, Apr 25, 2007.

1. haysoos

haysoos Private E-2

i have a kt600 dragon plus, athlon xp 2600+ and would like optimum settings for the bios. Also if I set the FSB to 180 or above Windows freezes after some time. Please Help

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

read the OC guide at the top of the OC forum.

whats the stock FSB for it? you're gonna have to start raising the voltage but dont do it unless you actually know what you're doing.

welcome to the site

3. uberuberuber

uberuberuber Private First Class

List you full system specs and temps. List memory type and timeing also.

A few things can cause windows to crash.

-Memory. overclock your memory "raise the fsb without useing a davider" and your memory will also get overclocked. some memory dosent like beaing overclocked and could cause your system to freeze.

-Temps. If your cpu gets to hot over even your memory overheating can cause your system to freeze.

-Overclock. Some times for a overclock to become stable you need to give it some more volts. However more volts = more heat and more heat= a unhappy cpu. only add more volts when you need to and only if you can cool the cpu with the extra volts. "i personaly never add any volts to cpu's useing the stock heatsinks. heck i never added any more volts to cpu's unless they were watercooled"

My advice is revert back to stock settings untill you post you whole system specs here and we can advise you on where to start off or untill you read and fully understand a overclocking guide.

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Looks like your board will handle 200 fsb. So I would look at the cpu which will likely be a Barton or Thoroughbred 333 variety (possibly a T'bred 266). In which case, depending on your cpu's steppings, I would guess that the particular cpu may not a good o/cer (unless you know otherwise).

Have you tried running Prime95 on it yet at 166 and incrementally higher fsb speeds.

Also overclocking a cpu will generally require more vcore (and in certain cases a lot more).

I take it that your ram will handle 200fsb (3200) or is it 2700 ram (ie 166) which when o/ced can result in errors.

Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds