overclocking and unlocking the 6800

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MR.Poopie, Jan 13, 2006.

1. MR.Poopie

MR.Poopie Private E-2

i want to know if there is any way a manufacturer can tell if you overclocked
    your video card or unlocked pipelines?

cuz it voids my "lifetime" EVGA Warranty...:eek:

2. andyroo773

andyroo773 Private E-2

I dont know but I fried my bfg doing that exact same thing.It's prolly not worth it,(Although I got an rma and refund)If I was you I'd spring for the gt.Thats what I did and it is soooooo worth it .Even with that 6800 unlocked and clocked to 420/850 I still could'nt get the performance I wanted due to the 128 mb ram.If you play anything graphics intense you'de rather have the gt.The 6600 256mb card I had before that did betterthan the 6800 at bf2,hl2,and the such.

3. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

It is not the RAM that affected your performance, it was the 128 bit memory interface (the GT has 256 bit) and the 8 or 12 pixel pipelines (the GT has 16).

4. andyroo773

andyroo773 Private E-2

Nope,
    It was the ram.the BFG card I had ,had 256 bit interface and I had unlocked it to 16pixel and 6 vertex pipes,and had it oc'ed to 410/850.It absolutely was the lack of ram,and the fact that it was also only ddr1.The gt I have now in essence is the same card except:A it has ddr3,And 2 It has 256mb clocked at 1 gig stock.It really makes all the performance difference.If you play anything graphics intensive DO NOT skimp on the ram.

5. MR.Poopie

MR.Poopie Private E-2

Re: overclocking and unlocking the 6800 gs *edit*

i bought the gs version sry and i did the unlock and overclock and gained 10-15 fps in fear set on full everything looked really good :)

i clocked it 425/1160

when i did anymore OC'ing than that my regular games (counter strike) would become choppy and some times lock up my comp while talking on ventrilo and playting music in the background

they stoped making the whole 6800 line
    except the GS cuz its a new card ; )

6. Prophets21

Am I wrong in thinking you can't unlock the GS since it's a different chip to the GT/Ultra?

7. andyroo773

andyroo773 Private E-2

So I actually just noticed your post said gs.Just looked up that card.Pretty nice.Those clock speeds you got are in line with my gt.whats your 3d mark 03 score???I wonder how they have gotten those clocks on 12 pipes as those are 16 pipe clocks?What are your temps Idle/load???

8. andyroo773

andyroo773 Private E-2

BTW.
    Artifacts are saying drop the clock,Comp locking up on the other hand is screaming for help.Be careful.Happy oc'ing and frying are two VERY different things ,and frying don't smell or feel good lol.

9. Prophets21

yeah definitley agree. I've seen a 9800 Pro fried and it made me sad.

10. MR.Poopie

MR.Poopie Private E-2

i dont know my 3d mark scores never tested =(

and you can unlock the pipes just i got artifacts so i put it back and left the vertex running and works great

my idle temp is about 53*C i dont know when under load i have a huge blower blowing cool air on it i hope it wont fry and smell up that would suck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds