overclocking e4300 need advice plz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anastrophe, Apr 22, 2007.

1. anastrophe

anastrophe Private E-2

hey i want to overclock e4300 and this is my first time overclocking. I was thinking 3.2 ghz would be stable 24/7. If you guys have any suggestions whats a stable fsb and what settings would I have to adjust?

Specs:
    motherboard: p5n-e sli
    RAM: mushkin pc6400 CAS 4-3-4-10
    cpu: intel e4300
    cooling: monsoon II lite
    case: nzxt zero

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

We have the same exact board and processor. I found that there was a memory hole between 1200 and 1333mhz FSB, so to get around it, I had to drop the multiplier down one and use a higher FSB to reach an effective speed of 2.8Ghz. 3.2Ghz was not stable for me at all, and 3.0Ghz was unattainable because of the FSB hole. I'm very happy with 2.8Ghz though, and it's been stable for a month with no problems what so ever. To get you started, read the overclocking guide at the top of this forum, and play around a bit. If you run into problems, post back and I'll see what I can do.

3. anastrophe

anastrophe Private E-2

can't I just raise the multiplier so I dont get into complications with RAM? If so how high can I go? Also one thing in the BIOS confuses me. It says the FSB (QDR) is 800 mhz when my fsb is 200 mhz can I just tweak that and pretend its 200 mhz x4? And if i were to tweak that how do I change the memory multiplier from x5 or so to x2 so my RAM doesnt break?

4. Anon-15281db623

The QDR is just some weird number they came up with to represent the speed. I don't know why they're trying to confuse us, but it looks like we're stuck with it. So yes, the QDR is 200 X 4, it's just a measure of speed no need to tweak anything. Just keep raising the FSB as normal, in small increments. You don't have to worry about breaking your ram until you hit 400Mhz and above, or a QDR of 1600 and above. Really, your ram can handle a lot and is underclocked atm.

I found that for best overclocking results, set your overclocking to sinc mode, that worked the best.

5. anastrophe

anastrophe Private E-2

ah ic thanks for the advice one last quick question :p can I just raise my multiplier to x14 for example and expect the same results as an fsb of 311 x9? because for some reason my mb allows me to raise the multiplier

6. Anon-15281db623

It's not possible to raise the multiplier that high. You can keep it at stock, or go lower to achieve a higher front side bus speed if your memory can handle it, but you will not be able to run the chip at a x14 multiplier.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds