Overclocking help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tangoman642, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Tangoman642

Tangoman642 Private E-2

Hey guys...so ok im new here and i need help...i came across your forum and figured was best place i could get help with my desktop.

I've got a HP Pavilion 061 ES067AA-ABU a1429.uk
    though this could be a a1020.uk(it says a1429.uk in properties of my comp but online its specs read as a1020.uk)
    another reason this thing confuses me lol...anyway

Its got an AMD Athlon 3200+ that is a 2GHz cpu clocking at 1.99GHz
    and it also has 1.5gig of ram....i need to know how to over clock the CPU.
    :banghead

I already know that i wont get much more juice out of this CPU but id like it over the 2gig mark please. It has knowhere to overclock it in its bios and nothing I can see on the motherboard...so is there anything else out there i can use that would do it...and if so...how the hell do i use it pleaseeeee

I'll bow down before any computer god that gets me over 2.1GHz on me CPU lol :D

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

What PLL does the motherboard have? To give you a rough idea of potential my brothers socket A 3200+ hits 2.4Ghz easy.

3. Tangoman642

Tangoman642 Private E-2

ok According to the crystal...the crystal says on it the below
    TQ14.318
    60FNK
    (i think thats what it reads)

and on the PLL it reads as follows

ICS
    951412AFLF

this crap means nuffin to me but hopefully you'll know what it means.
    if you think tihe info might be wrong let me know and il try reading again

4. Tangoman642

Tangoman642 Private E-2

sooo....after finding out the below...i went an downloaded CPUcool...nice toy that is...

anyways....everytime i jumped it up a level even the merest of fractions...wether it was to 100MHz or slighlty higher....and then told it to set....i got funny coloured lines going from top to bottom of me screen...and i ended up pulling the plug to doa hard boot each time...does this mean i did sometihng wrong or that it wont work on mine? :confused

my stuff is set to this ==> FSB : 99.7 MHz PCI : 33.2 MHz
    and i tried
    Trey Freq 2 FSB : 100.0 MHz PCI : 33.3 MHz

Trey Freq 1 is FSB : 99.7 MHz PCI : 33.2 MHz (which is same as original so i ignored that 1)
    and i tried
    Trey Freq 3 FSB : 101.8 MHz PCI : 33.9 MHz

5. ACE 256

Some frequencies simply don't work. What 3200+ are you running ?

6. Tangoman642

Tangoman642 Private E-2

um ?? see...clueless...expand on wut ur on bout please lol...cus alls i know is its AMD Athlon 64 3200+ thats says its a 2GHz CPU thats Clocking at
    1.99GHz lol

7. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Download cpuz for cpu info.

Also ClockGen is a good windows based cpu o/cing utility.

If you have an A64 3200+ with clock speed 2Ghz. I had one of those a couple of years ago, then depending on the steppings 2.4Ghz would be a good target simply because by using the 5/6 dividers in the bios your ram speed would step to 200Mhz. 2.4Ghz is seen as a safe point on that model and has ram speed advantages too.

o/cing your cpu may require more voltage to the cpu core as a result load temps can rise substancially. Good cooling is required. Equally, an o/ced cpu will require a lot more power and as such psu requirements need to be reviewed.

Personally, if you have little to no knowledge about o/cing a cpu, I would in the first instance read up on the subject before doing anything.

Good Luck

8. Tangoman642

Tangoman642 Private E-2

iv got some knowledge on overclocking itself....but the last time i did it was few years ago and hasnt been needed by me since ...was an old original Amd Athlon when they 1st come out...however...im now very rusty at that crap and could do with either some tips or some guidence if anyone can help me out?

9. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

the basic steps are

1. raise the fsb in the bios to say 240
    2. drop the HT in the bios to 800
    3. change the ram settings in the bios from 1:1 to 5:6

end result your cpu will run at a clock speed of 2.4Ghz you ram will be running at default 200mhz ie DDR400

If your system fails to boot (unlikely but possible) you may need to raise the vcore from the default 1.65v (i think).

Note on my board Asus A8V Deluxe overclocking when using the Via SATA controller led to HDD data corruption so I had to use the on board Promise Sata controller.

here a thread in which I posted a reply relating to my board

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=542277

Good Luck

10. Tangoman642

Tangoman642 Private E-2

ARGHHHH...imma gonna scream...ok iv tried using cpu cool and Clockgen to change my speed.

with CPU cool...i increase it by tray freq and it killed me forcing me to do hardboot.

with Clockgen my speed goes down to either 1.79(from 1.99) or says sumthing like 997 which ijm guessing is even lower..and when i did get it higher(speed unknown) it crashed out soon as i hit apply so i nvr got to see its speed...help...
    heres some info on my CPU below
    [​IMG]

now u have told me to increase the FSB...Drop the HT...and change the Ram Settings in the bios ...however..the bios aint letting me do sqaut with the RAM or cpu...and so far the proggies iv used to alter CPU speed have just crashed me out b4 it actually showed me the stupid speed
    *pulls hair out* help please

(ps if u think u can help me better in a convo over MSN or yahoo...let me no an il pm u me addy)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  11. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

The basics are as stated above.

The screen shot of cpuz is showing you fsb at 198.9 Mhz and is showing no change from default. Your multiplier is now set at 5 which is not the default for an A64 3200+. The correct multi is 10. In the first instance have a look in your bios to correct this.

Another thing that is incorrect from cpuz is your vcore at 1.1v. The default vcore for the Venice is 1.4v. You will also need to check this out in the bios.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=127

12. ACE 256

Disable coo'n'quiet in the bios before you overclock.

13. Tangoman642

Tangoman642 Private E-2

so heres an update...after much d~cking around...this is the current set up of my cpu

[​IMG]

this was done with Clockgen.however your saying the multiplyer shud be x10?

and i dont remember anything in my bios on how to change multiplyer speeds period...far as i know theres nothing in there at all that will lemme change the speed of CPU or RAM speed.

i noticed inClockgen thereis nothing for me to alter the multiplyer so any1 no of any software i cna use for that...btw...all the settings above were changed as 1 when i moved the lil arrow upwards on Clockgen...however its all the way to the right now and wont go any higher...so any ideas how to get it the last few steps im all ears...

remember...nuffin in me bios for these changes...needs to be done software but so far im happy were getting somewhere :D

14. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

The only possible conclusion is that the HP bios must be a slim down version which does not have what I would call basic settings. If this is so (and perhaps other users can confirm this) then I would say that o/cing on your board is probably not possible. This being the case I would be tempted to return everything back to the status quo by way of clearing the cmos (google for it, very simple to do).

edit: yes, the multi on a a64 3200+ is 10 ie fsb 200 x multi 10 = cpu clock speed of 2Ghz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds