Overclocking Woes. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tubnotub1, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Tubnotub1

Tubnotub1 Private First Class

First of, System Specs are as follows.

CPU : AMD Athlon 4000+ Sandy
    RAM : CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    Mobo : eVGA 133-K8-NF41 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
    PSU : Antec True Power 550 Watt
    VGA : eVGA Geforce 7800 GT
    CPU Fan : Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
    HD's : Dual Raptors in RAID 0 Configuration
    Sound Card : Audigy 2 ZS

Ok, onto the question. Having read 3 or so Overclocking guides, I felt it was time to try my hand at overclocking this machine I build (This was first build ever).

Going into the Bios I was able to OC the Processor 2 205X12 Stably. While not much ill be happy with this if it is all i can get out of the processor, I understand that all processors are different (even same make/model) as to how high they can OC. HOWEVER, what happened when i got went past 205X12 is not what other people mention happening when a CPU has been clocked to its maximum, the Computer doesnt shut down or anything like that. Instead, the First time it gave me this error code, after the windows splash screen (was on blue screen) "bad_pool_header". From what i have read on the internet this usually happens when there is a hardware error. Is this hardware error my computer telling me that I am pushing the CPU 2 high? Having seen other peoples OC results with this particular processor (on stock cooling no less) I am almost feeling cheated here. Any advice would be great. For now I have moved the timings back down to stock.

Best regards,

David

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Your CPU is prolly just about at its max speed when running on stock voltage Thow its odd that you cant get an extra 60Mhz out of it ).....maybe try uping the voltage a bit ?? ( 1.45 to 1.475 or 1.5 ) nothing big just get a feel of overvolting....Just remember the risks of overclocking are in overvolting. overvolting the CPU will add more heat and more stress ( a lot more then simply uping the core speed whould )...

3. Tubnotub1

Tubnotub1 Private First Class

Well, I increased the Voltages and tried it again. Voltage increase was to 1.47, once again I could only get the OC to go up to 205X12 before getting odd errors (got the pool header error as mentioned above, and a new one, the IRQL error) ALL of these errors from what i have read have something to do with drivers, so tonight I am going to re-install all drivers and updates and see if that helps... here is to hoping!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds