Overheating DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Coolsambob, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Coolsambob

Coolsambob Private E-2

Ok, so I bought a new PC and it has a "Sony DVD RW DW-G120A" drive, but when I watch a DVD on my computer, the DVD and the drive get really hot. For example I watched 2 episodes of Red Dwarf and after I took the DVD out, you could cook bacon on it.

I didn't try to cook bacon on it though.

Is there anything that could be causing this? Or anything I could do to sort it out? Because my PC has a better moniter and better speakers than any other DVD player in my flat and I like to watch DVDs.

I watch them in Media Player Classic, if that's any help.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatfully accepted.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Has nothing to do with what media player, what speakers, or what you watch it on. It is due to the fact that your drive is spinning the disc really fast, and thus, you create friction from the air movement, causing heat.

Not only can excessive heat cause breakdown of the discs, but it tends to cause drive failure in the long term.

3. Coolsambob

Coolsambob Private E-2

Thought it was probably due to that. Is there no way of slowing it down so I don't get my DVD collection toasted?

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Answer, nope. The best thing to do if you have the drive space, is to save to a media Server (ie PC). You will need the proper software to do it though. http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

*Sidenote, keep in mind this is not for theft of movies, but a way to allow saving the discs from degragation.

5. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

from a hardware point of view, it is also important that your DVD drive is well spaced within the confines of your case in order to ensure proper airflow around the drive and to allow any heat build up(caused by the friction) to vent adequately.
    Whilst your discs will always be 'warm to the touch' after a good session, they should never (in your words) be hot enough to cook bacon on!!!

Regards....

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I agree with nitrcrawler, more than likely the heat is not being made by the dvd drive, is there an exhaust fan in the rear of the case? ed

7. Coolsambob

Coolsambob Private E-2

Yeah, there's fans and crap all over the place. Well, a fan or two at least. I know they're meant to heat up, but probably not that much.

8. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

I would be checking all my case air vents for build ups of dust and other obstructions, as it sounds like it may be a ventilation problem!
    If dust is a problem and your machine is not under warranty this should allow you to open the case and give it a dust out with a light cloth or if not, give the airflow vents a blow through.
    Don't use a vacuum cleaner as this increases the risk of ESD! You can buy specially pressurized cans from your local computer store or even use a straw and some good ol' fashioned lung power!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds