Overheating Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maggieboby, Oct 27, 2012.

1. maggieboby

maggieboby Private E-2

Hi All:
    We have a G7-1070US HP notebook. It's always run hot (Core i3 - one of the first ones) and we use a cooling pad anyway.
    Recently, it's decided to run hot enough to shut itself off.
    I'm going to do the "obligatory" clean up/out with canned air, etc of the fan and air 'holes'...
    BUT - here's the question: I already know the part number and can get a new fan for less than $30. Is it worth replacing the fan if it's still misbehaving after the clean up? (I don't mean in monetary value; more like does going straight to replacing the fan usually solve the problem?) I'd rather "cut to the chase" and replace the fan and be done with it if it's going to end the issues. (My guess is it will still run hot even with the new fan since it seems to be the nature of it.)

Your always great advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

It might be worth it, as the fan could be working intermittently.

If you go this route, I'd also use silver thermal compound for better heat dissipation.

3. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

You might try running SpeedFan (a freeware download available from MajorGeeks) which will allow you to look at the temperatures in your system, and the fan speed, and to control the fan speeds. This might tell you if your fan is on the blink.

Clearing the dust from the outside does not always ensure that all clogging dust has been removed, or that the problem has been solved. Replacing the fan.may well solve the problem, but if it does not you will have bought a fan for no real reason (you will have a spare though).

Good luck.

Dumb_Question
    29.October.2012

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Getting a new fan might work laptop's all ways run hot be cause there in a small space and less air moves in them.I would most likely try if your up for it take laptop apart and take a can of air and dusting it really good.

And replacing the thermal past on the cpu.Replacing the Thermal past can be tricky and can and might void warranty just check with the manufacturer be for you try any thing.

If you want to see some of your temp's i would use this program.http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html work's well on laptops and see most of your temps.

Cooling pad is a good start.Just make sure you keep the fan nice and clear of any objects that would make it work three times harder then it should.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds