overheating router...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by problemswithvaio, Jul 19, 2006.

1. problemswithvaio

problemswithvaio Corporal

my cousin has a problem with his router, or it seems that way. For some reason it heats up quite a bit, he says it may be a fire hazard, I haven't been able to check it out, but I was wondering, if routers really do overheat than what's the cause, or what's a good way to measure how dangerous it is.

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Well my Netgear router does feel reasonably hot to the touch. It is on a bookself and if removed, the wood where it has been resting on would be deemed quite hot (not warm, hot).

Hope this helps

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Where is the router sitting? Near other electronic devices that also generate heat? On carpet? (I hope not)

My D-Link DI-524 router came with a stand that can be attached so that the router stands vertical. I use it and I believe it helps the unit run cooler due to better air circulation on both sides.

4. problemswithvaio

problemswithvaio Corporal

right next to the computer, I think literlly touching it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds