Overkill?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gaterader, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Gaterader

Gaterader Private E-2

I've crashed my computer so many times in the past that I sit down to my desk wearing a helmet! It been a long time since I have crashed and I attribute it to using three different spyware programs but I've been reading some of the threads here and now I wonder if I'm overkilling my puter'. I do a lot of web surfing and tend to pick up a lot of cookies and reg files. To combat this I have avg free, c cleaner, and malwarebytes installed in my two towers. I run avg automatically when I turn on my towers and then when I'm done surfing I run malwarebytes and c cleaner concurrently.

I have found that often times c cleaner wipes out the cookies and reg problems I have before malwarebytes finishes running, but malwarebytes sometimes finds deeper rooted problems. avg warns me immediately if I am downloading dangersous software or videos and I have actually been able to put my helmet away. Am I over responding and does this cause any problems to the effectiveness of my computer?

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I would run cCleaner first, if you run frequently, should take less than a minute. Then malwarebytes, that type of scan should run undisturbed.

Sounds like you do a lot of downloading. Have you ever tried a program called sandboxie? You can find it here at MG. Might be the added protection you need while still giving you the freedom to experiment a little.:wave

3. Gaterader

Gaterader Private E-2

I will do that, thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds