Overlooked uninstall of previous nvidia drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alontheriver, May 1, 2005.

1. alontheriver

alontheriver Private First Class

I recently replaced my nvidia Geforce 400mx with a Geforce 5200 fx. I overlooked uninstalling the 400 drivers before I installed the 5200 drivers. I tried to uninstall all the video drivers and start from scratch but everytime I reboot windows finds the video drivers and installs them . All my programs seem to be working fine except for links2003 where the players are fading out. I wonder if this is related to adding more ram. 512 ram and 128 video ram for a windows98 system. Does installing new nvidia drivers and card without uninstalling the previous drivers cause problems? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks. :rolleyes:

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Old drivers can cause trouble, but the problems you described don't sound too much like driver issues.

was your old mx400 a card or the onboard graphics chipset?

if you'd like to get rid of the drivers just to be sure, uninstall the nvidia display drivers from add/remove programs. Then boot to safe mode and run DriverCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3214.html , selecting to remove nvidia drivers.

after that runs, you can boot back into regular windows and install the new drivers.

3. alontheriver

alontheriver Private First Class

The old mx400 was a card. My MSI 6712 mb does not have integrated video. I'll follow your suggestion and download the driver cleaner and try to reinstall the 5200fx drivers again from the cd. What concerned me was the fact that after I installed the 5200fx software it was listed in the add/remove along with the mx400. Then I removed both of them and also removed the display driver through the device manager. Then I did a fresh install of the 5200fx software. What was strange was that instead of listing the 5200fx in the add/remove, just the 400mx showed up there, even though all the 5200fx software seems to be there. So I clicked remove and windows said error drivers already removed. this is why I'm concerned that the 400 and 5200 drivers might be all mixed up now and is tricking windows. aside from that all my programs seem to be working fine aside from some crashes related to vxd problems which were occuring prior to the video card upgrade. Thanks for your help.

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

instead of installing drivers from the cd, i recommend you get the latest drivers from Nvidia www.nvidia.com

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds