P4E 3.0GHz Prescott overheat, complete sys STILL UNDER WARRANTY, want tech specs.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bold Eagle, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have read many threads to this issue with Prescott. I bought a system in August 05 (before reading these threads) and have:

Intel P4E, 3.00 GHz 3006 MHz 1Mb L2 Cache (800FSB socket 478 Prescott CPU with HT*)
    SiS-661FX Motherboard (Micro-Star International Co., LTD.)
    ATX Midi Tower 8003LCA400ATTS
    2x512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
    1x80GB HDD 7200 RPM
    ATI Radeon 9200 Pro (RV280) 256 MB
    1xFA-ST-CASE Internal Case Fan (and I assume standard heatsink and CPU fan)
    2xExtraction Fans (one in power supply and one just below)

One fan internally mounted to the case wall with a funnel channeling it directly onto the CPU Fan and heatsink and two extractor fans at rear of case.

IMPORTANT INTEL LITERATURE STATES IF THESE CHIPS RUN AT 70C OR GREATER IT WILL SIGNIFICANTLY SHORTEN THEIR LIFESPAN.

Problem: my system started giving of CPU warning alarms, took it back to the shop where the salesman ran benchmark and diagnosis app. but the alarm would not sound so he told me to take it home (2 days later).

Longstory short I went into BIOS and found CPU at 67C (in idle) and CPU warning alarm set for 70C. Started running EVEREST Pro as background so I could monitor sensors when using sys for different app, etc. and created a prelimanary report, see attached. My system was hitting its CRITICAL OPERATING TEMP (@70C) and the alarm would sound and system would slow right down. Now this was occuring with ambient room temp from 26-32C, INTEL STATES CHIPS SHOULD BE FINE UPTIL AMBIENT ROOM TEMP OF 38C. System was overheating with low end app, eg. internet and opening Adobe Doc., low end games (in attached).

Shop has replaced thermal paste since and idle temp dropped by ~5C for CPU and moab to about 55C & 42C respectively on avg. System has hit 70C once since leaving shop on a low end game after being home for a week and shop said if problem persists they may replace CHIP.

What should I do, any suggestions?

Is this the shops fault for poor thermatic management design, INTEL Pentium or a combination of both.

I have 7 months left on my warranty for the complete system and I have not even been using high end graphics programs yet.

Are there any technical links to provide basis for any decision. I am a beginner but learning very quickly due to this site and could see the salesman tried to pull the wool over my eyes. They had disabled CPU warning alarm and temp setting of 70C in BIOS (back on now) so would liked to be informed if have to talk to them again.

Attached Files:

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Hvae noted that moab is indeed Prescott ready from MSI website so their should be no CPU vs moab conflict.

3. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

Take a screen shot of the alarm and print it out. Ask for replacement computer, do not try to fix it yourself because seeing the salesman already disabled the alarm he might just say that tampering with the computer voided your warranty. Its best to just start from scratch and don't forget to ask for the Hard Drive back cause you need the data off it.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Which Bios version do you have?

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Alarm is only audible and eminates from around the floppy at frony of case

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Phoenix - Award BIOS CMOS Setup Utility v6.00PG

Award BIOS Message W7060SMS V2.0 030705 10:20:58

7. DavidGP

From Everest can you post the Motherboard ID data ( goto Motherboard > Motherboard and next to Motherboard ID ) and Motherboard Name?

just trying to get the actual MSI bios version data, as if I have ID'd your mobo correctly their was a Bios update that fixed a Temp Warning issue.

but as Fertyop said let the shop handle and Bios updates etc as the onus is then on them if something goes wrong.

PC seems to have adequate cooling in the fans supplied, could well be faulty chip and/or motherboard?!

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Here you go please find attached. So the fundamental ques. still is do you think CPU is or will shortly FRY and thus immediate action neccassary? I sincerely value your opnions on this matter. CPU was just hitting 65-66C moab 48C & HD 46C. Just tell me what info you want and will supply

Attached Files:

9. DavidGP

To answer your question, fry probabily not as the CPU thermal throttleing is kicking in ( as you found out when the PC slowed ), which should lower the temps before that happens.

Having said this, you didnt buy a PC to have it get so hot the throttleing kicks in and reduces the CPU to run slower? something is not quite right, could well be a faulty CPU and/or Motherboard, those would be the areas I would have changed, as the store said if you still have problems they will change the Chip.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Thanks heaps I will contact thier technical section tommorow. Obviously I should check the idle temp of the CPU via EVEREST firstly when they replace parts what do you think would be a reasonable temp range to expect??

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I should have stated earlier that it is summer hear in Brisbane, Australia but I have been getting 60-65C when room temp is 27-31C would this be significantly contributing to these noted temps'.

12. DavidGP

I would get them to check on a Bios update if a new one is available for the mobo they have used, for some reason and I dont want to guess, from the codes it could be one of a few that use the SIS661FX chipset, if there was an MSI product/version code somewhere in the data Everest give out or maybe an MSI app thats installed, or actually on the motherboard itself ( but opening the case may well void the warranty so i would not advice that ) codes generally look like this 661FM2 (MS-7060).

Temp ranges I would want or expect would be somewhere in the 40-50c range it being a Prescott may hit near 60c when taxed, but with decent cooling HSF it shouldnt get to the point of throttleing back..... maybe they also need to try a better heatsink and fan combination?

Edit: Yes room temp will add a fair bit to the temps as the fans will be pulling in warm air, your room temps are near +10c higher than mine but we are in winter. Is their any way that you can lower the roon temps a a test, open windows ( if any brezze is blowing ) or AirCon or a cooler room ( if you have one )?

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Yes I could by using the A/C but even so I start to freeze if temp is lower than 25C plus I live in the subtropics so I can really lower for a test but this is standard environment for here i.e. 25-30C. MSI product version is 661FM2-LSR found on receipt and (MS-7060-020) found by doing research.

14. DavidGP

True and I get your drift, as the PC maker should also have factored in the area's natural yearly temperatures in their build? ( or I whould have hoped )

I did pick the right Mobo I see, and their is a Bios update that has a fix for a temp warning issue, while it may not fix your problem it may well be something for the shop to look into http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=618&kind=1 I really wouldnt attempt installing this a warranty issues may arrise.

As I mentioned earlier it may be that the stock Heatsink Fan compination just are not cutting it in your enviroment and need upgrading to something that offers better cooling ( maybe a bit noisier ).. I would have a chat with them again as it seems they have good customer service?

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Thanks Halo, it is going back in the New Year as tech staff on holidays at least I can communicate with a bit more confidence and certainly a greater understanding of the prob. It is frustrating in the least that the CPU, mobo, BIOS can have so many different codes by which the manufacturers recognise them. Why cant they just use one code for product, packaging, modify end digits for version etc., eg. mobo 661FM2 LSR (601-7060-050) aka SiS 661FX-...... etc etc. It makes it very cryptic when trying to find the tech specs for the products, i realise this later refers to chipset but for goodness sake. BIOS are even worse ID String: 03/07/2005-SiS-661FX-6A714M4HC-00 etc, etc.

Once again thanks, just having a whinge about the companies are their cryptic nature. Trying to contact Intel is bloody difficult they want the DNA genome molecular strand of all who helped produced your particular system before forwarding any sincere tech support, lol

16. Psycho_KNTX

Psycho_KNTX Private E-2

Do yourself a favor and buy an air duster;
    2 months after I bought my p4 prescott it had very similar heating problems 70c +
    then I blew all the dust out of the processor heatsink and it dropped by 30 degrees

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Intriguing!

What is an air duster?

Did you remove the CPU fan/ heatsink from the sys before cleaning?

Some say to use "air in a can" to clean your sys but others state this can just blow dust and crud into obscure niches and crevices (causing later probs) and it is better to use suction. So there are the suckers and blowers with blowers stating using the vac will cause static probs but in reality blowing compressed air across any surface at high rates will generate friction > static (principles of physics).

18. Psycho_KNTX

Psycho_KNTX Private E-2

In most cases I wouldn't be concerned with the use of either an air duster or vacuum inside of my computer(then again I've broken mine before!), but if you're picky you can remove the heat sink and then remove the dust.
    After you clean it thourougly with a vacuum or air duster, pop it back in after you ground yourself by touching a metal sink, or door handle.
    You also may want to apply some processor thermal paste to the bottom of the heat sink(Available at radioshack or many Computer/Electronic stores)
    You should then see a significant heat drop.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=509953&Sku=E83-1002%20P&SRCCODE=WEBGOOAUT&CMP=KNC-GOOGL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds