Page fault in nonpaged area

Discussion in 'Software' started by thai_american_42, May 21, 2011.

1. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

For the past two weeks, I've been receiving a blue screen on start up every now and that contains a message reated Page fault in nonpaged area.

I attached a photo of the message.

In response to the message, I've push the power button to shut the computer down and then push the power button to start up. Usually, that results in proper boot up. A few days later, I experience the same problem.

I'm concerned that my computer will stop working at some point.

Please let me know what to do to respond to the "Page fault in nonpaged area" message so I no longer receive it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

This type of error usually points to a piece of software that is trying to write to ram that is already occupied, and is not swappable (non-paged memory).

Have you installed any new programs or updated any drivers just prior to this starting?

3. thai_american_42

I don't recall updating any drivers for the past 12 months or more or installing any new programs since January (Soluto and Turbo Tax).

I just checked my Add or Remove Programs and see "Apple Software Update" (version 2.1.1.116) having a Last Use Date of 04/28/2011. My computer runs Microsoft XP, not Mac, so I don't know what this thing is. I dont' have an iphone, ipad, itunes, or anything like that or have any Apple/Mac equipment. I don't remember installing "Apple Software Update". The blue screen started about a week or two ago. Could "Apple Software Update" be the problem? If so, can I uninstall it without any problems?

Further - turns out, I have Quicktime. If I uninstall Quicktime and Apple Software Upd, will that fix the problem?

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

You can certainly start with removing Apple Software Update. It won't harm your computer. The next thing I would look at is Soluto, as I have heard that this causes problems also.

5. thai_american_42

Apple Software Update and Soluto are gone. What about "Apple Application Support" 54.54 MB(!)? I don't know what that is, don't remember installing it, and my Control Panel says I rarely use it. Can I remove Apple Application Support without causing problems?

6. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Yeah, you can get rid of that aolso if you're not using it. Is your PC behaving better now?

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I recommend that you install Revo Uninstaller, if you don't already have it, to Uninstall the Apple software.
    Use the Moderate setting for the uninstall mode, which I think is the default setting.
    This will find remaining entries in the Registry that are leftover after the standard uninstaller has finished.
    If you get a prompt to Restart your computer after the standard unistaller has finished, but BEFORE Revo has finished,
    CANCEL that so that Revo can complete it's cleanup.

When Revo Uninstaller has finished, Reboot to complete the process.
    Then you can use CCleaner's registry cleaner as well, and if it Cleans anything, reboot again.

If you really want to be Safe, install ERUNT and make a registry backup BEFORE you uninstall and again AFTER the uninstall.
    It has helped me Immensely!

Microsoft Support: page fault in nonpaged area xp

You can also take a look at QuickTime Alternative

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds