Page looks different in IE than in Firefox yet again...

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Feb 6, 2007.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

2. Publius

Publius Sergeant

Try changing your #title from:

To:
    The margin-right was defined at 19px

It looks fine to me in both firefox and IE now.

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

That certainly helped! Thanks :)

I hate to be picky, but there is a slight difference. If you notice where the links are in Firefox, it fits snugly, but in IE, there's more space below the links than above.

Any ideas on that? Then I should be satisfied. Thanks for your help :)

4. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Yeah, visit the site again to see it :)

5. askantik

askantik Sergeant

One more thing, where do you live? I live in the SE, too, and I saw that you hike. Just wondering where!

6. Publius

Publius Sergeant

I live in AL. Most of my hiking has been done on the AT. Though my brother and I have a few out and back spots in north GA and NC that we like to make it back to every few years. You?

I see the difference in the twoiews (IE vs FF). I can't see a reason for it at first glance, though I will probably have time to look at it tomorrow. I'll post in the morning if I can help.

7. kronus

kronus Private E-2

You can try...

replacing this...
    Code:
    <div style="text-align: center;">

with this..
    Code:
    <div style="text-align:center;vertical-align: middle;">

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Vertical alignment won't make things "snug". Only centered in the excess space.

This is almost certainly an issue with the PADDING on the links. Firefox and Internet Explorer interpret padding differently.

See this link for an explanation. I would advise looking for a solution that doesn't use padding, if possible.

9. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I live in Tupelo, and go to school in Columbus. My girlfriend's brother recently hiked the AT upward. Left in March and came back in September and about 30 pounds lighter, lol...

Over spring break, I'll be going to Cloudland Canyon state park. Have you ever been there? It's in northwest GA, not too far from Chattanooga.

10. askantik

askantik Sergeant

By the way, the page looks better, if you all want to look at it. There's still a slight difference under the links. In IE, there's a bigger gap under them. But I can learn to live with it :D

I did some work on it... Add a border. The border looks great in IE and pretty good in Firefox. For some reason in Firefox, it didn't put the left side border on the line with the links in it. No idea why... So one thing looks good in IE and wrong in FF and vice versa... ARGH :p

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

It's likely that your code isn't up to standard! When Internet Explorer encounters non-standard code, it will go into "quirks mode" where it will render the page in hopes of achieving the effect you are after. Firefox will not lie to you, and renders it as you have coded it. The results you get in Firefox are closer to what all browsers will see when you encounter these situations.

Make sure you run your code through the HTML validator at http://www.w3.org, and you shouldn't have these IE vs FF issues!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds