Pages freeze up and never load completely

Discussion in 'Software' started by augeek, Feb 6, 2010.

1. augeek

augeek Private E-2

Whenever I go online using either IE or Firefox I keep having problems with pages sporatically freezing up, not loading at all, or never loading completely. I was infected with the virus Worm SkyNet a couple of weeks ago and came here where it was removed using the "Read First" routine. The problems with page loadings started after that, so I came back and was told to run the same routine again which I did. When those second scan results showed no more infections I was told to come and post to this forum. I am only having problems when on the net and the same page may load quickly one time and then when I go back to it, it won't load or freezes. I have to constanty refresh the page or go back and then try it again. Also I can be on a page and think it's fully loaded then notice the icon for the page being busy is still loading it for over 5 minutes. I have cleared cookies and caches and defraged my computer with no help. Can someone please help me. Thanks.

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

What OS, anti-virus, other security?
    Both firefox AND IE? What versions?
    Do you use and run cCleaner? Have you run the registry clean in cCleaner?

3. augeek

augeek Private E-2

Hi, Brandy I have XP home, AVG free 9.0, Malwarebytes, Super-Anti Spyware, and CCleaner. Yes, the problems happen in both IE and Firefox. I have run CCleaner and its registry cleaner. The two main sites I go to are Ehow.com and Ebay along with doing internet searches, and I have had the page loading problems doing all of them. My Firefox version is 3.5 and I am not sure how to find what version of IE I have.
    Augeek

4. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi augeek,

temporarily disable avg's link scanner feature, reboot to test.

or better yet, temporarily uninstall avg completely, reboot to test.

you can also try disabling IE add-on's (open IE/go to Tools on the menu/manage add ons), reboot to test

techsent

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Agreed to augeek. One more thing to try is to run the Norton and Mcaffee special uninstall tools found at the bottom of this page;
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20
    The windows uninstall doesn't get them all off and one or the other is on almost every machine I look at, even if the programs aren't being used.
    When I install AVG on a machine with limited resources, I'll choose the custom install and unclick all the boxes except for the virus protection.

6. augeek

augeek Private E-2

Hi guys, two days now and much of the problem seems to be gone since I uninstalled AVG 9.0 and went back to 8.5. I am just afraid that my virus protection may not be up to date with AVG 8.5. It did not catch the virus I was infected with two weeks ago when all this started. I ran the Norton and Mcaffee removal tool even though I never used either of these programs. I bought the machine used so they could have been on it earlier. What do you guys think of the Anti virus programs they recommend here like Advira and Panda Cloud? Thanks for your help.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Avoid Panda Cloud; if you can't get on the internet then an av program on the internet is useless.
    Replace AVG with either Avira's AntiVir or Avast. Both are free and are very good.
    By all means, download and run the free malwarebytes. (Only do the quick scan). If there is anything nasty, it will find them.
    Now a days the threats are no so much viruses but trojans.

Be sure to keep malwarebytes up to date by updating it every day or two.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds