Pairing CPU & GPU (low-end)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deimantas, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Deimantas

Deimantas Private E-2

Hi all,
    I plan to buy a very cheap laptop, and I have some questions:
    Is Pentium B950 (2M cache, 2.1GHz) + AMD Radeon HD6470 1GB better than i3-2330 or i3-2350 coupled with Intel HD 3000? Which pair is more powerful game-wise? Also is Celeron B800 + Intel HD 3000 very bad? I think that the weak cpu must make the hd 3000 nearly useless, however this is extremely cheap.
    I need the laptop mainly for my studies, but I'd rather buy the one that's best suited for gaming (yeah, I know you can't play much games with these specs). And what about Pentium B960 (2M cache, 2.2GHz) + nVIDIA GeForce GT 630M 1GB? The gpu is somewhat decent, but the cpu is still not too good and it's more expensive. Thanks for your tips :)

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Although I don't have enough data to officially call this, I'm beginning to notice an unusual number of 2-3 year old notebooks coming in for repair due to AMD E-series CPUs and/or ATI on-board graphics failing.

Although any motherboard will eventually die if the cooling fan dies and isn't promptly replaced; some of the AMD/ATI units I've run into had no cooling problems.

Given this, I'd err on the safe side and stick with Intel all the way on a budget notebook.

4. Deimantas

Deimantas Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the warning, however I've already ordered a Pentium B950, AMD HD 6470M 1GB Asus laptop. It's got a 3 year warranty (that's what made me choose it in the end). I could recall my order in two days from now without consequences, though.

I guess a Lenovo celeron B800 with Intel HD3000 would last very long, and it's much cheaper, but it would block me from playing any half-decent game, and that brings a tear into my eye... :(

I could have also went with Acer's Pentium B960, GeForce 630M 1GB lappy. But I'm afraid it would not last, those acers tend to get really hot - if I'd play demanding video games for hours, it may as well melt :) I don't know why, but acer are thought to lack quality and long lifespan more than most of other laptops. That made me decide against choosing it, despite the fact that it's power is satisfactory.

Sadly, I can't afford an Intel i3 + GeForce 540m, or better laptop right now. I could afford such a build by the end of May, I think. But I'd rather not wait... unless the sandy bridge cpus are getting price reductions as ivy bridge comes out? Probably not, I heard that as AMD do not put up any competition in cpu market, Intel are not inclined to reduce prices. Monopolies suck. :major

So, would it be unwise to buy a laptop with a HD 6470M? Maybe I should go with a cheap one, that's got an Intel HD3000? Since the AMD gpu is not much of a miracle anyway...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds