Panda Anti-Rootkit Malfunction

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bob_B, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Bob_B

Bob_B Private E-2

I downloaded and ran Panda anti-Rootkit. after
    selecting intensive scan and rebooting, the infamous
    blue screen came up stating: a driver possibly
    phooks.sys was attempting to write to read only
    memory. Why is this happening and how can I correct
    this? Does this mean my boot sector is now corrupted?
    I'm running Windows 2000 on a raid array using a
    mirror drive for my backup, which is now also useless.
    Neither drive is accessible! At this point, none of my
    data is available.
    Anybody know how I can get Panda off my drives and get them back to normal?

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Bob_B, welcome to Major Geeks. :major :cool

It looks like Panda Anti-Rootkit and Windows 2000 may not be a good fit (you need SP4 for instance, or Panda tech support for servers).

This info from http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/docs/product/help/rkc/en/05.htm

Sorry but it looks like a visit to Panda may be your best course of action. :cry Bazza

3. Bob_B

Bob_B Private E-2

Thanks for the reply Bazza.

I do have SP4. As for visiting Panda support....therein lies the problem. I've been there but can't get any response from them. You have to first register but you can't do it without the Activation Code that is on the box of their commercial product. There wasn't any activation code required with the downloaded version of panda anti-rootkit that I got from this site by the way.
    My drives are Western Digital. I've been to their support site and sent a question but haven't heard from them yet.
    Not being a computer guru I asked them if the activity I described is connected to the MBR and if so could I rewrite it to fix the problem or would that cause the loss of my data.
    Would you know?
    Bob_B

4. bigbazza

Sorry Bob, but this is beyond my experience. :cry :(

@Major Geeks gurus out there@
    Can anyone help Bob out?

Bazza

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Someone running 2K and the Panda rootkit detector got the BSOD and the same error. His fix: boot taping F8 the select last known good configuration. Try this once and see if it works.

6. Bob_B

Bob_B Private E-2

plodr you are a MAJOR GEEK!:)
    When I first read your post, I thought, I tried that and it didn't work. But then I thought maybe I didn't make the right selection because I was scrolling up and down trying to decide what I wanted to do and maybe I didn't select it after all. Well, I guess I didn't, because I tried it and everything is happiness and relief now! :D It worked!
    Now, I'm going to remove and delete all traces of that abominable program!

Thanks for your GOOD advice.
    Thanks also to you bigbazza for your help. You sent the request for someone's help.
    No thanks to Panda. They told me to format my drive and reinstall windows!
    With thinking like that no wonder the program is junk!

Thanks again guys!
    Bob_B
    condolier-bms@yahoo.com

7. bigbazza

Sometimes they just need a little push. :major :cool :D ;) :)
    PS: Don't include your email address in posts. Nasty people (not MG members or readers, of course :D ) may bombard you with spam. :p

Bazza
    ===

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

BoB_B, thanks for the kind words but I'm actually a geek-wannabee. :D
    Chills run down my spine when "tech" (and I use the term loosely) support says format and re-install. Before I'd tell anyone to do that, I'd try and discover some other ways to do a fix. I'm very good at searching because chances are good when a problem is posted, someone else had the same problem and just maybe a solution was discovered. I usually post any solutions I can find because one size does not fit all when it comes to computers.
    I don't want to disparage all tech support. I have gotten some good help from phone, emails and live support (chat) but the majority of help has been poor to outright ridiculous. Support forums like MajorGeeks has much better people volunteering to help than most of the call centers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds