1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panda antivirus users beware of spyware

Discussion in 'Software' started by Endi, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats not cool.

Guess Ill stay with 2003.
  3. Kodo

wow.. bummer.
  4. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I am not sure what good it will do But I will email panda and ask them

I will post the answer here if they bother to answer that is :)

for now I have quarantined it. my connection still working :)
  5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Was that the version with the firewall too?
  6. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

No its just the antivirus (no firewall)
  7. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I hope I was not to direct :) and to the point

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi endiablado that is indeed spy ware and over the coming year more and more authors will probably go down this route to cover increasing costs. As a reminder to you all always on installation of software is to keep a look out as to exactly of what you are actually installing. Software like spywareguard and spyware blaster are very good and can play a big part in keeping spy ware off your computer
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You would think the cost of the program would cover their costs...this isn't freeware.
  10. Kodo

True, but you might also consider them trying to offer software at lower costs and having to make up the difference somewhere else. Personally, I'd rather pay more than have someone spy on my shit.
  11. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I am so upset right now at Panda for being so sneaky and not professional that I am thinking about saying to hell with the 29.99 I paid and getting another antivirus.

from the webhancer site itself

Information collected
    webHancer collects Internet performance information using a small, transparent program known as the Customer Companion. Users typically download and install the Customer Companion via the Internet. The Customer Companion measures web transaction performance experienced by users. The data collected is used by website operators and network service providers to analyze and improve the level of service that they provide to their users.

Examples of information that we collect are: web page address, web page size, web page load time, web page completion state and network delay time. Any personally identifiable information collected as part of information contained in a web site address or URL query string that is received by webHancer is never forwarded to a commercial third party. We do not permit collected information to be correlated with other information to identify the browsing habits of any specific individual. We do not request that our users provide any personally identifiable information as part of a registration process or through the operation of our software.

12. Jabman

Jabman Private First Class

endiablado, does Ad-aware or SpyBot S&D detect this? If it is only Pest Patrol detecting it, it could be a false positive on their behalf.

13. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

spybot and adaware did not detect it.
    I was surprised they did not.

I run them at least once a week with the proper updates
    I installed 2004 panda about a month ago.
  14. Kirschstrasse

Kirschstrasse Private E-2

What about people using earlier versions? Do you think they will try to stick this in with their updates or dat's?
  15. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

If I was using the 2003 version I would check for

the following dll in the panda folder

16. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Information came from

it also adds a copy of that dll on the system32 folder.
    and also on the
    windows folder
    3 copies of the same dll so far
  17. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

18. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

No Spyware in Nortons :p
    *runs outta here*
  19. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Here is something peculiar

after I uninstalled all 3 copies of the sporder.dll

another proccess that had me concerned about panda (webproxy)
    went from using up to 15,000k to only using 92k
    What the heck is going on??

That is a dramatic change what was that dll doing. transfering all my info somewhere I suppose.

here is the image

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi endiablado
    I have been advised by a expert in this field that it is probably filename recognition only and that is all. However i will monitor this software and should anything of interest come about will get back to you
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.