Paralell port pins and stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goldfish, Jun 29, 2004.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ok this might be more for modding than anything else... but its more relevant to Harware I thought.

Anyway... So I'm going to make a LCD screen thing for my server, and I want to make it so you can plug it in extermally OR mount it in a drive bay. My question is...

Can you get any power from paralell ports? If not, can I get the same 12V rail from a USB cable that I would from using a molex adaptor? Or, even better, would it be easy to make a USB lcd screen... and would I be able to use the normal LCD screen controller programs with it? Or am I better off making a power socket from a molex adaptor so I can plug it in outside the case? OR would I be able to bodge a USB cable to get power off it and the OS wouldnt get errors trying to recognise it?

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

AFAIK, serial and parallel ports provide only minimal power. Enough to power a keyboard or mouse and that's it.

As for the USB solution, I own a set of cheapy speakers that are powered by the USB connection. There's still an audio jack for the sound card, and Windows never knows that there's a USB device plugged in at all.

But I have no idea how that's all done. /me is in CS/IT, not EE.

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ah... so it is possible to do that. Handy. I doubt you'd be able to run a backlit LCD screen off paralell. Now I just need to work out HOW do wire a usb cable (or perhaps from a USB header to make things easier?) No, thats stupid, if i use a usb header that would kinda defeat the point wouldnt it :p lol.

I now wonder if i have a paralell header inside my machine. I'm guessing not as its primariliy used for printers and the such.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds