parity check/memory parity check

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sparkplugsmom, Apr 16, 2009.

1. sparkplugsmom

sparkplugsmom Private E-2

Today, I was online, reading the news and noticed that the pages were loading slower and slower. Using IE 8. Anyways, I got the Blue Screen of Death with (this is the first time I've seen this message):

Hardware Malfunction
    Call hardware vendor for support
    NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
    The system has halted

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop
    Win XP, Svc Pack 3
    RAM: 1GB
    BIOS version: Dell Inc. A03 (2006)
    Recent changes to computer: Upgraded from IE 7 to IE 8 12 Apr 09, Windows Auto Update 15 Apr 09, Reg Fix Pro Update 16 Apr 09

After rebooting, I came to your site and checked out some similar posts, I've blown away the dust and went to the link for memtest86, downloaded, installed and updated drivers.

So, far have not received this msg again, but there were some other suggestions I'd like to try. How do I clear CMOS & set BIOS? (And years ago I heard the term - flash the BIOS is this the same thing? Or something else & do I need to do it?) Can you give me guidance on opening up a laptop to reseat & switch memory (I've only opened a desktop)? I did try to go into Setup (F2), but most fields were unchangeable. The battery is 100% charged and performing normally.

Any other things I should do?

Thanks so much!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There should be a slot on the bottom to get to the memory. Laptop memory sits flat, you will press 2 clips on the RAM holder and the memory will come up about 45 degrees. You can then lift it out of the slot. To install new memory, you slide it into the holder then press it down so it lies flat and you will hear it click in place.

As far as BIOS, avoid flashing it. If this is the first problem you've had and the error seems to point to memory, you do not need to do anything with your BIOS.

3. sparkplugsmom

Thanks for your assistance. I'll check the memory (and leave the BIOS alone).

4. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Another possibility is the CMOS battery. This is usually a CT2032 dime-sized battery that holds the values of memory, hard drive size, etc & passes this info to Window$. A weak battery could send the wrong info to windows, causing the blue screen.

Hope this helps

5. sparkplugsmom

Thanks ralph3124. So, even if Setup shows, the battery is 100% charged and performing normally, it can still need replacing? (Sorry, if that's a dumb question, but I haven't had to deal with battery issues - just call me clueless.)

6. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Spark,

Ralph is not talking about the main battery (Big One), he's means a small battery inside the laptop. Those are usually rechargeable and the laptop AC adaptor keeps them charged. Very seldom have problems with those. It's OK if the Date/Time does not change radically. On a desktop you can remove the non-rechargeable ones used there to reset the CMOS SETUP. Look good in your SETUP. Some have a feature to reset the CMOS SETUP for you.

Hope this was a little help, Jim

7. sparkplugsmom

Hi jlphlp:

Thanks. Your msg just kinda triggered something for me - hmm... I should just get a brain in my head and take my laptop in and pay (ouch......I'm already crying). Thanks so much.

8. sparkplugsmom

I'd like to say thanks to all for the responses. Very helpful!!!! Yea - thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

9. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Again,

Parity error usually means bad memory or bad parity check circuit. If you only got it once don't worry about it. If it happens often then get busy and find out what is causing it.

Thanks for the thanks, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds