Part number from XP disc

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, May 26, 2010.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I have a defective XP Pro disc. It is not part of an OEM installation. I purchased it and it was originally loaded on my PC clone.
    I need to find the key off the disc. I cannot locate the original key that came with the disc.
    The disc will not load, and the current installed version of XP was loaded on by a computer shop that replaced my HD when it crashed. Obviously that version it is not recognized by MS.
    I tried Magical Jelly Bean, but it reads only the HD. Is there a way to read or find the MS key that is on my disc? Without it, I am having difficulty trying to work something out with MS about replacing the disc.
    Thank you in advance,
    Skysarge

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

3. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Seems to be successful.
    Key number was listed, and when I talk to MS again, I should know for sure this is what they want. They asked for part number.
    Either way, I needed it also.
    Many thanks, appreciate your help and expeditious handling
    Skysarge

4. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Just as a follow up -
    I contacted MS, and they did want a part number which was on the disc.
    Service rep I talked with was very cordial in his "Sorry Charlie" spiel.
    I have a PC clone and the XP Pro disc was purchased by me, off the net. Consequently no MS/PC manufacture support available from MS, and I have no idea from whom I bought it.
    A quick run around the net surprisingly produced no real discounts on XP, but some on Win 7.
    Decisions, decisions.
    Again, thank you for your assistance,
    Skysarge

5. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

sorry, bit confused, if you now have the product ID from the installation cd...
    why are you looking to another or different OS to install?

6. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Sorry, I'll try to clarify...
    The disc I have (my personal disc) will not load. During installation I get an error message that some file is missing or damaged. The installation process is incomplete and at that point installation terminates.
    When my original HD crashed, the computer shop that installed the new HD could not reload XP from my disc, so they loaded XP onto my computer from some other source. MS will not allow me to update or download certain updates or whatever, as they don't consider the OS I have to be legal.
    I now have a defective XP Pro OS installation disc. MS does not offer direct support to the consumer for that disc, and I no longer have the bill of sale nor remember from whom on the net I bought it.
    Hope this clarifies the confusion I caused.
    I do know I am confused with the response from MS. I bought the disc, I installed from the disc, and I registered the disc with them.
    But that is another matter.
    Again thanks for your help,
    Skysarge

7. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Have you tried to clean the disc? Wipe from inner hole to outer edge only, with eyeglass cleaner (gentle cleaner) and eyeglass clothe? After it's clean, you could then wax with a car wax to fill any lines or scratches, again with a really soft cloth (i use an all cotton make-up remover pad that is lint free).

Servere cases I did do a wet sand with super fine sandpaper then buff with an orbital car buffer to bring the DVD back to be able to watch it again. Extreme but it worked, there are more details via Internet for this.

If the file is not being read then I would be lead the disc is faulty, nothing more. I would think of scratches over a corrupt file.

8. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

I found this in a completely different folder. From the installation disc I did a search for the file since I did not have the first folder mentioned. In the I386 folder I found an unattend.txt file. Now i am currious because i have the OEM COA in front of me and it DOES NOT match the product number listed in the unattend.txt file... werd?

9. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Not to that extent, will try that
    Skysarge

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds