Partion a knew HD?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bchivers, Oct 17, 2004.

1. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

I am going to install a knew 80g hd. as my master drive. I'm not sure how to partion it. I've heard to make the first partion for page file. Is this a good idea,how big,how do I designate it? I would also like to have a partion for XP,storing backups,one for maybe playing with linux sometime,what size? How do I copy my os. and files from my old drive(which is to be my slave) to this one? Can I add a partion to my slave without looseing data already on it?

• HP. Pav.520W 512m ram SP2 XP home,WD.80g hard drive. TIA.

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Q - I've heard to make the first partion for page file?

A - Not sure what you mean by this.

Q - I would also like to have a partion for XP,storing backups,one for maybe playing with linux sometime,what size?

A - 20GB is good for linux, backups should not be done on the same disk, and if Windows will be the primary OS 40GB would be good enough and perhaps the rest can be for data storage. Perhaps after you get this new 80 setup, you could use your former drive for backups.

Q - How do I copy my os and files from my old drive(which is to be my slave) to this one?

A - The best way to do this is to use a program called Norton Ghost. You may or may not be familiar with it. It is fairly easy to use. However, it will make an exact duplicate of your current HD that you want to copy, so it will keep the partitioning scheme you have now and not what you want to do as mentioned above. I suggest reinstalling Windows, apps, and keeping your current HD as a slave to copy all your files over, then use it for something else.

Q - Can I add a partition to my slave without looseing data already on it?

A - Only if there is unallocated space, which I doubt there is, espeically since you are upgrading to an 80GB drive.

Ask more if you need to.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

"I've heard to make the first partition for page file. Is this a good idea, how big, how do I designate it?"

In my opinion, it's not really worth creating a separate partition for your swap file.

If you do, you would have to allow enough room as it can grow, unless you manually set a static size.

The ideal way is to use a separate, faster drive purely for your swap/page file as this will not get fragmented, and to manually set this to a static size rather than let Windows manage it.

This sort of thing is really only for experienced users, and isn't that practical or economical.

For the rest of us, it's much safer and easier just letting Windows do it.

Also, there are ways of getting around the page file fragmenting, such as turning it off, defragging your entire drive, then enabling it again.

4. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

I think I am going to give it a try. One more question,do I need an OS. on the partion that I store my data. Thanks guys for the info,you been a big help. B.Chivers. :)

5. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

No, say you have 40GB for Windows, and 20GB for Linux, you can use the remainign 20 for data.
    Bear in mind that we are estimating because in reality you will have less than 20GB, more like 17 or 18 of actual space.
    The question for you would be how do you want to format it? So Windows can read the 20GB partition or Linux? If you are new to Linux, chances are 20GB should be enough. Depending on what you are going to be doing in Windows, maybe you want a 60GB partition, instead. What I was thinking, is that by keeping the 20GB partition, you can save data to it and reinstall Windows easily if you have to by saving data to your 20GB partition.
    Sorry if I am confusing you.....format the 20GB partition, if you want one, as NTFS.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds