Partition Editor

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shardul380015, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Shardul380015

Shardul380015 Private E-2

Can anyone recommend a good partition formatter because I going through DOS is kinda tricky for me as I have dual booted my system. (When I boot into XP the Drive that holds Xp shows up as J Drive but when I boot into Vista it shows up as M Drive). I need it to work on both Xp and Vista so yeah that is all I need and prefrebally to be free. I can't find the page on majorgeeks where it holds all the partition software and I also am not familiar with any partition software because I was used DOS up until now. So yeah can someone recommend a good partition editor/formatter. Thanks. :)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to explain better what you want to do. If you format, you lose everything. Do you instead want to change the size of the XP and Vista partitions?
    gparted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GParted

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think what Shardul wants is his/her various partitions to be assigned the same drive: letters whether he boots into XP or Vista. He wants his XP_J: drive to show up in My Computer as J: whether he starts XP or Vista. In Vista it is showing up as M:, if he wants to put something on his XP desktop it is labeled drive M: not J: which can be confusing.

I don't know how to fix it (I don't think even reinstalling both OS's in a specific order will do the trick, but I'm working off experience with a 98/XP dual boot). I agree with your cautioning that partition format software is not what Shardul wants and I'm unsure if partition labeling software will work.

Any software out there that can do it? rolleyes

4. Shardul380015

Shardul380015 Private E-2

Thanks for the replies. Windows Xp recently stopped working yesterday and there was no way that I could get it to start and so I thought I would format the XP drive but still leave Vista intact. So now all I want to do is format M drive or J drive don''t know which one but still leave C: intact since that is where Vista is installed and most of my data resides. The XP drive is basically a 10 gb drive dedicated to Xp and i don't install anything in there. So yeah can anyone recommend a good and hopefully free software for formatting drives. Thanks. :) I will look at GParted.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds