Partition Software for 64 bit.

Discussion in 'Software' started by motc7, Mar 25, 2010.

1. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I have Win 7 64 bit. I have tried downloading a couple of things from this site but they won't install due to being 64 bit.

Any suggestions? Gotta be free.

I'm basically looking for something that will allow me to take my existing C drive and partition it so I can install Ubuntu without destroying my Win 7 partition.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Have tried to shrink your Win 7 partition using Win 7's own disk management?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. motc7

Nope, and after reading this, I feel stupid...Sorry for the dumb question. :cool

5. Earthling

Well don't, you learned something new today - hope I do too :cool

6. motc7

I learned that collinsj has the best avatar on this site.

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Thank you very much, but it is collinsl (L);)

I would also recommend gparted. It is a program where you can boot from CD, so it is OS independent and very reliable in my opinion.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

8. motc7

Yes Herr Flick!

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

10. motc7

Shrunk volume is all I needed to do. Now I have Ubuntu on a 100 Gig partition.

Now, if I want to delete that partition and reclaim everything under C, would I just dleeted the partitions, and then extend volume right?

11. Earthling

Wrong ;) I believe you will need to install a partition manager to get rid of the Linux partitions as Windows Disk Management probably won't see them at all. And as you are using 64 bit you might have to pay for it too, as the free ones atm only handle 32 bit. Someone will come up with an answer to that though - a boot disk probably.

12. motc7

o.k. I did this at home on my 32 bit, so I think the suggestion earlier should work. Thanks!

13. Earthling

It isn't a 32 or 64 bit issue, it's that Windows can't see Linux partitions so it can't remove them. The 32/64 thing merely applies to disk partitioning programs - the 32 bit ones are free at present, but not the 64s'

14. motc7

Which free program do you recommend then for 32 bit when I'm ready to dump that partition and recover it from the Linux part.

15. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Disk management sees the linux partitions as unknown, just rht-click on the the drive and delete it. Then you can format it or leave it raw. BTW, you will still need to get rid of the 'Grub' loader and you can do this by staring up your Win disk, enter repair options and run the following command
    Code:
    bootrec /fixmbr
    , this will get rid of the now useless dual-boot screen. No need to spend any money.:)

16. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds