Partitioned HD, what must be installed on C:

Discussion in 'Software' started by subgeeky, May 15, 2011.

1. subgeeky

subgeeky Private E-2

I've partitioned a 500 GB HD, with Windows XP Pro for C: drive sized to 15 GB.

I will have multiple users. How do I put their "My Documents" on another partition.

Are there other programs that must be installed on C: for it to work properly and across multiple users (i.e. antivirus/antispyware, firewalls, other essentials)?

Also during partition, perhaps I screwed up, there are now 2 unpartitioned space, one is 8 MB, and the other is much larger (haven't partitioned that yet). Anyway to fix it?

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

What are you using to partition the drive?

I recommend EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition
    It will show you a graphical representation of the entire drive and all partitions.
    The partitions can be moved or re-sized.

Any portion of the Hard Drive that has not been partitioned will be designated as "Unallocated". That is not an error.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Even just for XP and your software alone you should at least double that
    Right click My Documents > Properties > Move tab
    All installed software should be on C

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

While 15GB is somewhat small for XP, it's not impossible to use it that way as most programs can be installed to a different partition easily. Try to keep 25% free space on the partition though. It might be easier to wipe and create a 50+GB partition to begin with.

To move the My Documents folder to a different location (this would need to be repeated from within each users login too):

5. subgeeky

subgeeky Private E-2

I don't know who is Alex Nichols, but he blogged about using C: for OS only and install all other programs on a different partition unless it must be installed on C: for it to work properly. So I figure with all the updates on XP Pro, it still shouldn't add up to 15 GB.

Thought it makes sense to keep the OS drive simple as other programs might bog it down.

Guess I'll find out if doesn't work when it's installed on the other partition.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds