partitioning the os from my data files - just how big should i make the drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by thegeezer3, Apr 7, 2005.

1. thegeezer3

thegeezer3 Private E-2

hi ive already partitioned my 2 hardrives so that i would have one drive just for my os and then a number of others for things like mp3 etc. I chose 6gigs for the os drive thinking that would be sufficient as nothing else would be added to the drive (i.e. programs etc). I have also redirected my temp internet and file folders to a different partition.

All was well with teh os drive being only half full however the drive is somehow full and the system is running slowly. Ive noticed that a lot of programs have decided to put data in a fodler called Applications Data in the OS drive. Is there any way i can move this folder to one of my other partion drives as i did with the temp dirs?

If not, how big should i have made my os drive then? 6 gigs is obviously too small.

any help appreciated.

2. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

What OS are you on?

I'm guessing XP since the install requires that much space. I have installed XP on a few very small comps, one of them having a total hdd of 6.5 gb. On that I had the OS installed, programs and applications (slightly limited amount) and also space for smaller files, mainly text files. I had about 2½ gb left of space when all programs were installed, leaving about half a gb for files (as I want some space for easy defrag). Imo, you should do fine with 6 gb, especially if you don't intend to install any programs on that partition.

Problem with XP is that it tends to grow, and will eventually fill your drive. I've located some of the problem and I have a few tips, and I'm sure others here have more ideas.

First, empty your temp folder regularly. It is a hidden folder, so make it visible in the folder options. The temp folder is located in C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Local settings
    If you have a cd burner, it could be one of the culprits. The programs for burning store the cd image before burning in that folder by default, and I've noticed some of the programs don't delete the file when they are done... And then you might suddenly have just one file using 600 mb... There are programs you can set to flush that folder each time you start the computer, as it tends to collect junk. I use a program called JV16 Powertools for that.

Second, go to your restore centre. You will find it in the start menu under accessories, system tools. There you can decide how much space you will allow for the restore points. Remember that less space means fewer restore points, but you probably don't need as much space as you have by default.

Regarding your application data folder, I know you can relocate parts of it at least, I used to place the Firefox folder somewhere else for example. But I'm sure there is a way you can locate the entire folder... Anyone who knows how? :D

I'm sure there are more things you can do, and if someone else has any ideas, I would be interested too! :)

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw that you've already relocated the temp folder... Lol I should have read the post more carefully...

3. thegeezer3

thegeezer3 Private E-2

Thanks for the advice. I actually didnt think about the cd burning software issue. I use nero so ill have a look to see if there is a way to change its directory manually? (not sure if you meant that directory was within the temp directories but ill check non the less).

As for the applications data folder , i always try to manually set any data folder a program might use to a different partition. Im just shocked at the number of high profile pieces of software that dont allow you to change it. One example is norton antivirus though there may be a good reason for it. I just hope there is a way to change the location of this application data folder just like the temp folders otherwise whats the point of partioning a seperate os drive.

it looks like i wasted hours of my time partitioning. The current results were definately not worth the time put in.

Grumble grumble...

Thanks again ;>

4. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

I've worked with both nero and clone drive, and both allow you to change where to keep the image during burn. I'm not on my comp at home now, so I can't check, but on Nero I think you have to go to "advanced" or "more" or something like that to change it. One of them (and now I can't remember which one...) didn't always delete the image after completed burn. And yeah, I meant that it uses the temp directory. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds