parts review on my new comp build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by conecommander, Feb 22, 2009.

1. conecommander

conecommander Private E-2

Hey all. I am new to the forum so I am sorry if this is the inappropriate section for this posting.

I am looking to put together a new desktop PC in the really near future, probably putting my tax return to good use.

I haven't kept up with technology as of late, my last build was 3+ years ago. I received some advise from a few friends and started my search online.

For some background info, my primary uses for this will be storage of a good deal of media, some picture and video editing, some gaming, online poker, and website design. I was also thinking of possibly overclocking some, but not to the max. I am the type of person who does not need the top of the line, but I do always want quality parts that will last for years and can be upgraded upon. I don't want to even think about another new computer for 3-5 years, with exception to additional HDDs. I am going to be running XP Pro on this as well. The following is what I came up with so far.

CPU & Power Supply ~ $394.98

• COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply

• Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

Motherboard ~ $299.99

• EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Core i7, 3-Way SLI & Crossfire Ready, E-LEET OC Utility

Memory ~ $144.00

• CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Video Card ~ $199.99

• EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Core i7, 3-Way SLI & Crossfire Ready, E-LEET OC Utility

Storage HDD ~ $129.99 x 2

• Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Operating System Drive ~ $179.99

• Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive)

Case ~ $189.99

• Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Monitor ~ $899

• Dell UltraSharpTM 2707WFP

I still need to pick out a DVD writer, and an upgraded CPU Fan was recommended from reviews I read.

From my side the only areas I could see to cut cost were with the Video Card and Motherboard choices. If you recommend something other please provide the specific product and reasons why it is better. Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. All help is welcome.

Thanks!
    ~Cody

2. nunchuck

nunchuck Private E-2

hey some of your links are mixed up and some are missing.

3. conecommander

conecommander Private E-2

AHHHH.. Thanks for the heads up, but apparently I cannot edit my posting? If so, where is the option located on here.

4. nunchuck

nunchuck Private E-2

hmm there should be 4 buttons on the bottom right hand corner of your post and the farthest one the left is the edit button.
    edit: just realized you can only edit your last post better just post the whole thing over again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds