Password changed but not by me!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shantiel74, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Shantiel74

Shantiel74 Private E-2

My husbands cousin had been staying with us and during this time we let him use one of our laptops. After a falling out of sorts my husband asked him to leave. Seems he chose to take what ever hard feelings he was having out on the laptop because now I cant get past this black screen with a blue box asking for either the administrator password or power on password. We never had a password set on the laptop so I have no idea what either password could be. My husband asked his cousin what he set the password to but he claims ignorance of a password even being set. I tried removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS password (is that right?) thinking that might help but it still wont let me past that screen. Pushing F8 or any of those other buttons does nothing! Im hoping someone here will be able to help. The laptop was bought a couple years ago so the warranty has expired and I cant even find the booklets that came with it but its a Compaq Presario CQ61 with Windows 7

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to MG's,
    You will need to download the ISO image file for this program NTPasswrd from here....

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

burn the image to disc/usb flash using this program....

http://majorgeeks.com/InfraRecorder_d6206.html

then boot the disc as you would if you were installing a new OS. This tool will remove all windows passwords and you will be able to enter Windows without a password.

iain.t :major

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

iain.t, a black screen with a blue box isn't a Windows password, it's a BIOS password. Your suggestion won't help.

Shantiel74, although the warranty is expired, if you're able to prove your ownership of the laptop and contact the manufacturer, they will help you remove the password from the computer. Laptops can't be reset like desktops (removing the CMOS battery, etc.) due to theft purposes.

There ARE ways to reset it, but contacting the manufacturer is a first step. If they refuse to help you for some reason, please post back and we'll see what we can do. ;)

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

My mistake Sorry!!:-o

iain.t :major

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

7. Shantiel74

Shantiel74 Private E-2

Thank you all for the help I'm going to try these things now:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds