Password entry fields forcing entered text to capital letters

Discussion in 'Software' started by mbz, Jul 4, 2012.

1. mbz

mbz Private E-2

This just started happening out of the blue. Certain security fields (e.g. windows login, online game password fields, etc.) suddenly force all entered text to capital letters, with one exception: text entered using the Microsoft on-screen keyboard. Switching input keyboards did not fix the problem.

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

How do you know that entered passwords end up in uppercase; passwords are usually invisible?

What is your Windows version?

Do you have multiple keyboards defined under Regional and Language Options?

3. mbz

mbz Private E-2

I figured out the problem by inference, because when I tried typing in a visible security field, it entered all capital letters. From this, I determined that the reason my password entries were failing in all of the other fields was because they were being entered all in capital letters. I'm sure this is what's happening.

I'm using Windows 7.

As best I can tell, I only have one keyboard defined under regional and language options.

By the way, some additional info:

When my on-screen keyboard is active, the fields accept the text from my input keyboard normally (i.e. lower-case letters). When I shut down the on-screenkeyboard, however, the problem comes back.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You don't actually say anywhere that you have checked the status of the Caps Lock key. Have you?

5. mbz

mbz Private E-2

Yeah, caps lock key is disabled. I've tried with both my Leopold mechanical (my main keyboard) and with a cheap HP keyboard (just to ensure that it wasn't a problem with my Leopold). Both use USB inputs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds