password protect files and folders

Discussion in 'Software' started by ridgerunner9, Apr 8, 2007.

1. ridgerunner9

ridgerunner9 Private E-2

looking for a way to password protect files on a computer running xp without running multiple users any ideas?

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

one easy way, using WinRAR:

archive the folder containing the files using the "store" method, which does not compress them. You can password protect and even encrypt archives. They are quickly and easily accessible, especially from the uncompressed "store" state. :)

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You should have at least two accounts on your pc for security reasons. Otherwise you will be surfing the net as an administrator, definitely not recommended.

Studio T

4. ridgerunner9

ridgerunner9 Private E-2

I do that anyway but i do not like to switch users to open privete files

5. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Folder Lock quote, for anyone interested.

7. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

As you are not specific to the file programs or thier location ie: network drive, C:\ or specific to your log on.

Right click anywhere on your desk top choose new folder name it [optional] cut and paste all folder/files you want password protected to this folder right click the folder click sharing and security follow prompts.

This also works on network drives...

8. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

You could also use WinGuard Pro 6.5.16 . There's a free version for home users, and a pay version with extra features.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds