Pavillion Notebook STOP error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AstroFlashJones, Aug 9, 2010.

1. AstroFlashJones

AstroFlashJones Private E-2

I have a 16 month old HP Pavilion DV7 -1232nv notebook whose hard drive (Toshiba MK3252GSX) decided to crater. I have replaced it with a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD 3200 KTRTL from Best Buy. Upon attempting to install XP Pro when the installation files were copied to the hard drive a Blue Screen error message
    "STOP: 0x0000007B 0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)"
    reared its ugly face.
    After running the BIO's
    A) 'Start Up options'
    B) 'F2 Start-UP Test'
    There were no errors found in both the Memory and the Primary Hard Disk Test .
    C) "F9" 'boot device options does not identify any installed Hard Drive.
    D) No C: Drive
    E) The BIOS does NOT recognize any Hard Drive

Whats up with this?
    THX in advance

AFJ

2. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

I had a similar problem with a WD Caviar Green 3.5". I can't remember if it was showing up in the BIOS or not though... What I had to do was use Parted Magic to pre-format the drive, then it took the OS no problem.

3. AstroFlashJones

Thanks for your input. I downloaded and tried your solution, but it did not work. The same outcome happened. The Blue Screen "STOP "error surfaced. The hard drive was originally accepting the files from the cd to start the installation. All the files seemed to copy correctly , but when it came time to actually start the installation from the copied files on the hard drive the installation cratered. The computer did not seem to recognize the hard drive during the actual Windows installation process. Again, the BIOS still does not acknowledge the fact that a hard drive exists, but during the Windows file copying process the hard drive activity light flickers and from all accounts the files are copied correctly, but as the actual Windows installation begins the hard drive is not being recognized and "WaLa" BLUE SCREEN.
    Thanks for your time, input, and efforts on my issue!!!
    AFJ

4. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

What was the scenario with your first HDD dying? It sounds like it may be a problem with your MoBo and not the HDD itself.... Do you have an external usb SATA enclosure and access to a second computer to test both hard drives?

5. AstroFlashJones

All was 'OK' until one day the Windows installation failed just after the boot-up sequence, without any prior warning or issues. It just hung and had to be "Powered Down" to reboot. When it was rebooted, it then hung again at the same point needing the same process to reboot.
    Unfortunately, I do not have a secondary notebook or external hard drive enclosure that I can test the new drive with. I do not believe that it is an issue with the new drive. The old drive did not pass the BIOS tests. The new one does pass.
    The BIOS sees the drive to perform diagnostics on it, but it does not show up in the boot order setup. Seeing that the BIOS does not recognize the drive when setting drive boot up priority, I was hoping that someone would know how to upgrade or restore the BIOS. The current BIOS does not have an option to automatically locate or manually install drives. On the HP Web Site there is not a new or any BIOS download available.
    Using the program 'Partition Magic' I was able to create a full partition on the new drive and then format the partition with 'FAT32'. This is a UNIX based program. Still, during a Windows XP Pro installation, when it tries to boot from the hard drive and use the installation files, copied from the cd, to install Windows XP Pro, it gives the Blue Screen "STOP" error. What I need is the ability to get the computer to allow booting from the hard drive (to allow the drive to be one of the choices in the boot-up sequence setup). I think that is the underlining issue.

Thanks for your input, time, and gray matter cycles !!

AFJ

6. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

7. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Something else just came to mind.... Was the initial installation also XP pro? And was it from the same disc? Another thing to consider it that the SATA drivers some newer computers are not incorporated into some Windows discs. If you used the same copy of windows for your previous installation I doubt this is the problem, but if not, you can create a new windows installation disc by integrating the chipset drivers into the CD. Here's how:

http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slipstream-sata-drivers-into-xp-cd/

8. AstroFlashJones

The CPU is not a Intel but AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobile Rm-74. So will the standard drivers work? I am not sure that the XP Pro disk is the same one as is now being used for the original installation.
    AFJ

9. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

10. AstroFlashJones

Working on your last suggestion. let you know how it turns out.
    THX
    AFJ

11. AstroFlashJones

The Video driver should not even come into play , because it will be contained within the copied files from the cd on the hard drive that is not being accessed during the Windows installation start up.
    Under F10 BIOS Configuration the hard drive still does not show up under "BOOT OPTIONS". The three options available are:
    1. CD-ROM Boot <enabled>
    2. Floppy Boot <enabled>
    3. Internal Network Adapter Boot <disabled>

The BIOS sees the hard drive and allows it to be tested under the BIOS's
    1. "DIAGNOSTICS TAB"
    2. "Primary Hard Disk Self Test" option
    3. The hard drive "PASSES" the BIOS's "Primary Hard Disk Self Test".

The hard drive is still not recognized under the BIOS's "BOOT OPTIONS".

If I use Partition Magic as you suggested, , the hard drive can be partitioned and formatted. I formatted it under FAT32 just to see if the hard drive could be formatted. The installation process will never go past the reboot unless it sees the drive and can access the files for the Windows installation process to proceed. Each time I boot with a Windows installation disk in the cd drive the install starts and copies the installation files to the hard drive. When it comes time to start the actual install:

1. The reboot process starts.
    2. The computer initiates a reboot sequence.
    3. The computer does not have the hard drive as a option in the boot sequence .
    4. The hard drive is not an option to boot from.
    5. It does not boot from the hard drive where the installation files have been copied to.
    6. It cannot locate the copied files on that hard drive to start the Windows installation.
    7. The installation process stops and the computer hangs.
    THX
    AFJ

12. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

13. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings...

One other quickie: try downloading, burning, and booting to a Linux distro (I prefer Mint) - the success or failure of this would pretty much cut your troubleshooting in half...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds