Pavillion XL754 + 2 PNY 256MB RAM Chips = Boot Loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MSchoaf, Dec 16, 2004.

1. MSchoaf

MSchoaf Private E-2

I am trying to upgrade my HP Pavillion XL754 to the max 512MB of RAM. I initially bought a PNY PC100 256MB chip. I already had an Infineon 256MB chip installed. When I installed the new PNY chip and powered up, it tried to boot once, then came back to the blue HP screen, then popped into a black screen saying there was a problem loading the OS. After talking to tech support at PNY, they suggested I put 2 identical chips in. I bought another PNY 256MB PC100 chip with the same result. However, either chip can be put in either slot by itself and the computer boots just fine. BTW, I previously had the 256MB Infineon and a 64MB Infineon running with no probelms. Any thoughts?

I am running XP Professional.

Oh, another thing, I can get into the bios upon startup and the system actually recognizes the 512MB of RAM.

I did come across another post where the user ending up re-installing XP...I'd like to avoid that if possible :(

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=512931

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds