PC Activity light on modem on steady

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by debodun, Nov 29, 2013.

1. debodun

debodun Private E-2

I have a Motorola SB5101 modem and the amber light (PC Activity) always used to blink rapidly whether the computer was on or off. A few days ago, I noticed that it is on steadily now, but once in while, blinks slowly for a few seconds. I called my cable company and they said, in as many words, as long as I can connect to the Internet, what's the problem? I unplugged the modem and let it reboot, but it's still the same. I was just curious as to why the change in modem behavior or is it something I should be concerned about. BTW - my OS is Windows 7 64 bit.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Unless you get a higher tier (3) on support, they just read from a script and get you off the phone. I did find this:

Solid Amber
    Problem: None. A single device is connected to either the Ethernet or USB port and no data is being sent to or from the modem.

Flashing
    Problem: None. LAN activity; transmitting or receiving data N/A

Off
    Problem: No devices connected.

According to this, this is not a problem.

Bookmark for you: http://ww2.cox.com/residential/supp...rticleId=8ad22bf0-6374-11df-ccef-000000000000

3. debodun

debodun Private E-2

Thanks for your answer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds