PC Audio - Undesired Split Signal

Discussion in 'Software' started by LeonJ, May 16, 2009.

1. LeonJ

LeonJ Private E-2

Hi all,

I own a Toshiba Satellite A355, running Windows Vista, with plenty of RAM and hard disk space.

Ever since I purchased it, I have had the following problem: The internal PC speakers continue to emit sound despite having a jack plugged in. This happens regardless of whether it is headphones or an external speaker system plugged in. The signal seems to be split between both internal and external - in other words, the external speakers emit sound simultaneously.

The first few times I booted up the system after purchase, Windows asked me whether I had headphones or a line out plugged in to the jack. Then, it stopped asking, and I have no idea how to get back to that screen.

What's likely going on here? Can I correct this by re-downloading drivers?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

My first try would be to reinstall drivers, but do not use Toshiba, but the latest driver from the manufacturer. Is it using Realtek drivers, for example?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds