PC Crashes during every Virus Scan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shugaslimm, Feb 20, 2005.

1. shugaslimm

shugaslimm Private E-2

I've been having this problem everytime I run an antivirus program whether it be Mcafee Stinger, Nortons, any online scan whatever it may be my computer freezes and eventually that blue screen performing the system scan comes up. Im really not sure what the problem is. I'd appreciate anybody's help.

2. shugaslimm

shugaslimm Private E-2

Nobody can help?

3. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

If you already tried a few different programs then I wouldn't necessarily think it was the programs causing the issue, however if the system was already infected that the infector could be crashing the system during scans. Other possibilities are the scanners you are using are not the correct/compatible ones with your OS (slim change but possible), some other process running in the background conflicting with the scan or a corruption in the operating system.
    But you have to provide info about your system:
    What are your system specs?
    What version of Windows are you running?
    Which anti-virus scanners and versions have you tried?
    What are the error messages?
    etc.

4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Try booting Windows into Safe mode (F8 during boot up) and run the scanner then. Also make sure you have all the latest updates to Windows installed from Windows Update.

5. bot

bot Private E-2

go type a url that is not real somthing like http://dskjfhgkdshkljdf.com
    and see if a lot of search webpages come up ..and pops ups and all that..

6. shugaslimm

shugaslimm Private E-2

Well I have Windows Xp I've tried using McAfee Stinger and a few on the online virus scans recommened on this site (the spyware thread)
    What will usually happens is the system will freeze, its a laptop so I always heare the same "clicking noise" right before the Blue Screen comes up when its starts performing the System Dump

7. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Clicking noise???
    It seems like your HD is on its way out, the clicking sounds indicate a serious physical problem, if the noise gets worse then HD is about to crash any moment.
    That explains the system freezing/crashing during either intensive processes. The applications causing the crash could be residing on bad sectors, which means the data on those bad sectors either corrupted (causing read/write/process errors-applications give errors and/or do crash, possibly the OS as well) or lost (read errors- applications do not run, files do not open at all).
    I would recommend backing up your valueable asap if noises continue but make sure the noise is caming from the HD not a fan or something else.

8. shugaslimm

shugaslimm Private E-2

Yea I was afraid that was the problem :(

9. bot

bot Private E-2

those noices are normal with that problem .........don't jump on that one just yet ,,,,,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds