pc crashing during games - becoming annoying :<

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chris avz, May 25, 2006.

1. Chris avz

Chris avz Private First Class

Since i received my vx922 (i very much doubt this is causing my games to perform illegal operations)

During games when its becoming a bit intense the game will crash and give performed an illegal operation error blahdy blah.

my specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice @ 2.36Ghz (262*9, 4HTT, 400mhz ram. running at ddr333 due to overclocking.)
    XFX Geforce 7800GTX 256mb
    2 x 512MB Samsung pc3200 DDR 400mhz RAM
    200GB SATA 150 Maxtor 8MB Cache Hard Drive
    ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SKT 939 NVIDIA® nForce4 Ultra M/B
    Hiper Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Blue
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Viewsonic VX922 2ms Gaming Monitor at 1280*1024 - 75htz) - i use this resolution with all my games also.

Running on windows XP sp2!

I've tried different drivers and im currently on the latest (84.21)
    I've also checked out all the temperatures - graphics, processor - etc everything seems fine.

Any help appreciated thankyou

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Go to control panel/admin tools/event viewer and look for errors in system and application ....double click each error and see if MS has a description of the problem.:)

3. Chris avz

Faulting application painkiller.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module engine.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x001a7e9c.

and

The application, C:\Program Files\DreamCatcher\Painkiller\Bin\Painkiller.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/25/2006 @ 18:32:07.546 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 101A7E9C (Engine!Sprite__Sprite)

?
    I've only just reinstalled the game!

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No offense to TimW, as the Event Viewer is a VERY handy tool, but when it comes to application failures, its not so much so. (There's too many applications that could fail for an even greater number of reasons)

Hmmm...you've already covered the usual suspects, so the only thing I could think of would be temp files. (Sounds silly, but it killed my installation of BF2 Special Forces Expansion) I would recommend you uninstall using CCleaner, run the cleaner, then try installing again.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

@Mada_Milty ....none taken.....I'm not a gamer and have limited knowledge of errors with gaming ...:eek: :eek:

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oh I should've mentioned DirectX! You should make sure you have the latest version! To check your current installation, please do the following:

1. Hit windows key + r (or click start --> run)
    2. Type 'dxdiag' (without the quotes)
    3. Press enter (or click 'OK')

This will bring up a dialog with all sorts of info on your install. I believe the latest version is 9.0c

7. Chris avz

Thankyou both of you for helping!

I will try ccleaner if the problem persist (ive just updated painkiller - i thought i had but i restored pc recently so it wasnt up to date)

Thasnkyou!

8. Chris avz

yeah i have the latest version of directX installed...

Version 9.0c :)

9. Chris avz

jesus just deleted 630mb of temp files!!

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yeah, buddy. CCleaner is where it's at!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds