PC dies - Software or Hardware fault

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ken1235, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Ken1235

Ken1235 Private E-2

Hi, 2 or 3 year old PC crashes on a regular basis - 5 min to 2 hours. Annoying, no Blue screen, ever, just switches off. Have to reset Power Supply switch on back of PC to restart Keeps going to recheck drive for consistancy on restart. Sometimes finds issues, and fisxes them, sometimes does not. New Power Supply 1 year ago. No new software installs, rercently, protected with McAfee. Crashes on defrag. Tried to download software to check disk, crashes on running. It will run Registry Repair Pro, but no significant problems found. Just deletes error entries. XP starts fine, every time. Added an extra 1Gig of memory recently and pc is faster but still dies regularly.

Any thoughts?

Ken1235

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Sounds like it might be an overheating problem.
    Make sure all cooling fans are running and not blocked with dust.

3. ynot

ynot Private First Class

Maybe the HD, just a thought.

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Why did you install a new power supply last year and what brand did you buy to replace it.

The reason I ask is even when a pc shuts down "BOOM" from over heating, you don't have to reset the powersupply, just wait a liitle for the proc to cool down. It s not unheard of to by a bad supply, expecially if its an off brand. Also, if the old supply pooped out on you, it could have spiked and damaged the mobo on its way out.

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Suddenly dies, reset power switch on back of PSU

PSU....;)

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Appzalien makes a very good point.
    The fact that you have to reset the PS directly does point to it being your culprit.
    Is it possible that there is insufficient air flow to the rear of the computer?
    I've seen some installations where the user had their tower in a cubby hole and papers stacked next to its sides, making the airflow nil to the PS

7. Ken1235

Ken1235 Private E-2

Thanks guys, I will investigate....

8. ynot

ynot Private First Class

I use the vacumn cleaner brush attachment on the fan inlets and outlets to clean the airways (with the PC switched off)

9. Ken1235

Ken1235 Private E-2

Good call.

I don't know yet how long it will run for, but I foind one of the cables snagged in the rear fan stopping it turning. Hence could be an overhating problem.

Time will tell.

I will report back.

Thnaks,

Ken1235

10. Ken1235

Ken1235 Private E-2

Update

It was a heating problem

Turns out the heatsink pad between the processor an d the heatsink had disintegrated.

So I removed it, added liberal amounts of Silicon electrically insulating Thermal conducting paste and the PC runs fine,

Everest is a good free download programme form this site with the processor now stable at 45 degrees Centigrade with all the covers on and stilll unventilated in the hot clostrophobic cupboard.

11. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

That liberal amounts of paste thing makes me nervous, your only supposed to put a very small amount on, enough to just cover the surface. Thats usually about the size of a bb for a full 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" processor surface and a quarter that for one of those exposed 3/8" x 1/2" procs. It will not cause problems at first but too much paste will cause problems later as the cake hardens around the chip.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds