PC doesn't recognize external hard drive Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CKENNEDYCMk, Mar 19, 2012.

1. CKENNEDYCMk

CKENNEDYCMk Private E-2

Help! My OP isn't recognizing my hard drive.

I am working with Windows 7 Ultimate, and it won't pick up my external hard drive. When I do the steps above it says that its working properly, but it does let me have access to it. Please tell me what is the best way to keep from throwing my computer out the window?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved your post to its own thread as differnent OSes may need different fixes as well as different hardware drivers.

So did you complete all of the advice in this thread HERE and is exactly what you mention above in letting you have access or not allowing you access.

Is your Windows 7 fully upto date with all updates and hotfixes?

What is the make and model of External HDD?
    Have you tried the drive in another PC and did it work ok?
    Has the drive been working ok for a while and this is a new occurance of has this gone on since you have had the drive?
    Was the external HDD formatted in a Windows XP PC originally at all and what File Format is being used (FAT, FAT32 or NTFS)?

What I would try is to delete the driver for the mass storage device in Device Manager (also while in device manager are there any devices with yellow ! marks and if so what) and to do this on the correct drive, dont have the USB drive pluged in, then in Device Manager open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers branch, then plug in the drive and a new hardware item will appear, likely a mass storage device, once this appears right click it and choose uninstall, then unplug the external HDD and reboot, then plug in the external drive and Windows will re-install* the driver

*only in the main if you dont have other missing device drivers,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds