PC freezes - I have to manually restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sevenismagic, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sevenismagic

sevenismagic Private First Class

I've posted this on an old thread, but I think this is where it belongs.

I have an HP Pav a510n desktop with added RAM.
    When I'm tasking (surfing, downloading, gaming, ect...) the screen freezes seemingly at random. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work, and I have to shut down manually (pushing power button). It will restart the first time for the most part. When I leave the PC, it shuts down. I'm not sure how long it takes for it to do so. It does not restart itself.

I've been at this for awhile now. I've gone as far as to wipe and reinstall XP, and I have the same issue.

Any/all help much appreciated.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

That pretty much rules out a software problem

Have you run chkdsk on your hd?
    It is recommended to shut down all non essential programs (all but antiviral and firewall
    1. Open "My Computer" and right-click on the icon for the drive that is to be checked.
    2. In the context menu that opens, choose "Properties".
    3. Click the "Tools" tab at the top of the Properties window.
    4. In the "Error-checking" section, click the button "Check now".

3. sevenismagic

I followed 1-4 and the chkdsk came up with nothing.

4. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

That is good.
    Now i suggest testing that memory you installed
    w/ memtest available here
    http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

Note read all the instructions first as this can take a long time (kind of a mantra in diagnosis LOL)

5. sevenismagic

Now i suggest testing that memory you installed

I ran the test over night. I ran two simultaniously @ 855mb each. 407.8% with zero errors on one and 149.6% with zero errors on the other. Learning to embrace confusion seems to be my current mantra (lol).

6. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Good a clean run on memtest.
    I think the next step would be to go here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
    and read it. How to debug a memory dump (windows can create a small file when the pc crashes this can be used to determine the exact problem.) ((sometimes))

I have read your earlier threads ,is this the same pc that was giving you the shivers before?

As always read it all before diving in

Have you ever received a BSOD even if it only flashed by for a second? or does it just stop responding then shut down.?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  7. sevenismagic

It is, indeed, the same old PC. Side-stepping the fear of a jinx, I will say I have never seen the BSOD on this PC.

I thought you might be on to something with the RAM (I did go cheap when I upgraded), but just as well since the guarentee on it ran out about two weeks ago. ;)

On to the debug. Thanks so much.

8. sevenismagic

I'm finally back online after much trouble. I spoke too soon about never having the BSOD. I have one now that says, "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I eventually had to install the original RAM to get the computer past the BSOD and to start. I will resume the "debug memory dump" if it is recommended.

Thanks.

9. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

So.. Once you changed the memory have you gotten the BSOD?

A BSOD is a step in the right direction.
    Your error code on the BSOD should look something like this...

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000001)

Do you get any of this?

Go ahead and follow the directions for debug and let us know what you get.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  10. sevenismagic

Yes. I get that on the BSOD.

I'm having some trouble finding the memory dump file. I've done searches for "minidump," mini dump," "%systemroot%/minidump," and I've looked in a few windows folders, but it's like a needle in a haystack (could use a magnet right about now).

I also wanted to make sure that when I enter the symbol file path into the debugger that I should enter the entire "SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols" into the field then save.

11. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Memory dump is accessed from the CMD line....check this out a few picks to help you out then the following list (below)should make more sense to you.

http://elliottback.com/wp/how-to-analyze-windows-xp-bsod-minidump-files/

To extract useful information out of the minidump file created:

1. Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> "cmd")
    2. cd \program files\debugging tools (Or wherever they are installed to)
    3. kd -z C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini???????-??.dmp
    4. kd> .logopen c:\debuglog.txt
    5. kd> .sympath srv*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
    6. kd> .reload;!analyze -v;r;kv;lmnt;.logclose;q
    7. You now have a debuglog.txt in c:\, open it in a text edit (Notepad?).

I am beginning to think it may have been something to do with the memory or mobo controller(mem)
    Have you gotten a BSOD since installing the old memory?

12. sevenismagic

I'm at a loss here. I can't keep the think from freezing long enough to get through the debugging process. I'm currently writting from my server - at this point, I can't get past the "Windows is starting up..." It just stays there no matter how long I leave it go.

It will not start in safe mode either. Well, if it does, it just presents with a desktop that says safemode but with no visible icons - no start button either. Honestly, the Throwing it Out of the Windows Program is starting to look good. :eek

13. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

Have you touched added or changed anything in the BIOS recently? Had any power spikes or surges? Check the BIOS settings if all checks out pull the new RAM you put in and leave the original RAM in place.

Long story short, I seen a machine one time had a similar problem and turned out the RAM and the Chipset didn't like each other.. replacing the RAM fixed the issue. It had cleaned memtest as well without any problems.

Now My current machine cleared memtest as well but would freeze now and then.. Once I upped the voltage from 1.80v to 1.90 it's been rock solid. I too installed new memory, same brand same type as before that happily lived on 1.80v new stuff likes only 1.90v! It might not be whats happening with you but give it a shot and see what happens. Least that's one more thing 110% knocked on the head and ruled out.

How is your PSU, is it in good shape? Old unit, new unit, branded unbranded? PSU's when they go bad can sometimes throw up all kinds of errors including.. random freezes if there's too much moment with the juice your components may not like it! You might want to put it on your list of things to rule out, virus scan is clean as well? Checked all cables. Did you use a system restore CD\DVD to reinstall or a Windows disc?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds