Pc Freezing, randomly?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burrell, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Specs

Quad Athlon 620 @3.5
    Asus M4A78-E
    2x2 GB Corsair 1600 ram
    GTX 295
    Corsair TX 850

CPU, NB and GPU WC'd

Just about everytime i leave the pc for atleast 2 hours running by itself, maybe doing a virus scan or something, i will come back to it, turn the monitor back on, wiggle the mouse, but it just stays in sleep mode i presume. So i end up hitting the restart button.

Then on other days i can leave it for hours and it'll be fine!

I doubt it's heat due to my cooling and the fact that i can play games for hours and experience no problems.

Any ideas?

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Try this long shot: enable sleep mode, try to bring the machine out of hibernation - if you can start with no problems, that may help eliminate the Windows half of the equation.

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

done, it wakes up just fine!

4. Caliban

So - we may be faced with some hardware issues, if I'm reading this right.

Some suggestions:

Fire up SpeedFan, make sure your temps are ok.

Check out your Event Viewer, see if anything there is correlating with the crash.

Standard hardware checks: reseat/swap RAM sticks, check connections, make sure all fans are running and clean, etc.

No other symptoms?

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Temps attatched.

Swapped RAM sticks, and all fans are good.

Il leave it now and report back later.

Attached Files:

6. Caliban

Obviously not heat. Strange problem - still not 100% convinced it's not a Windows thing. Try to remember to look at Event Viewer at or near the time of the next crash.

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

BIOS power saving settings conflicting with Windows power saving?

Hard or soft error in Hiberfile.sys?

Some setting like auto-hide Taskbar ... ?

I'd like to see the System logs too.

8. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I'm not familiar with Event Viewer, can you please tell me how to use it?

it doesnt seem too simple.

9. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

LOL, can you explain this hard soft error thing?

And how would i know if BIOS power saving settings conflicting with Windows power saving?

The taskbar is normal

If i can work out how, you can have the system logs. ;)

10. satrow

Hard error = bad block, soft error = bad data, both should be resolveable by disabling Hibernation and deleting the Hiberfile.sys from the root of C:, rebooting, defragging then re-enabling Hibernation.

Enter the BIOS, check what power saving settings are enabled; change or disable them, save, reboot and test.

Once you're viewing the logs in Event Viewer, you can save or export them to file, keep them as the default *.evt then zip and attach them.

11. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Delete this please, or just remove attatchment, just realised thats from ages ago!

Attached Files:

12. Caliban

Yeah, that's why we forced hibernation earlier - agreed with getting rid of the BIOS settings - I shoulda thought of that.

That bothers me about the settings conflict, though, unless the conflicts are random, which is weird.

13. satrow

Maybe not random but conflicting with something like a scheduled task?

Anyone know a quick way of listing all scheduled tasks?

14. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

In BIOS, under power i have

• power on with PME
    • power on with PS/2
    • power on with Ring
    • power on with RTC Alarm

All disabled.

There are loads of errors in system, ill see what happens at time of next crash.

15. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I cant seem to get it to crash now!

16. satrow

And the last thing you changed was the BIOS power saving settings? If so, looks like you found the culprit :)

17. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

But i didnt change anything... :)

18. satrow

Hmm ...

19. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Apart from the RAM sticks that is!

Is it possible that was the problem?

20. satrow

I suppose it's possible but without scrutinising the logs, I'd have thought it less likely than a power-saving bug.

21. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I tried to upload the whole log, but it's too big. Guess ill have to wait for another crash.

22. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Had another crash, but i checked every log, and there no errors anywhere near the time of the crash, just some when i booted up again. I can tell you those if that will help.

23. satrow

Yes please, as fully as you can.

24. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I got 15 errors within 2 minutes of boot in the system logs.

Ill try and list them

1. Error
    Event 46 volmgr
    Crash dump initialization failed!

2. Critical
    Kernal-Power
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly

volmgr again

4. Warning
    Wininit
    Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

5. Error
    Service control manager
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    cdrom

6. Error
    PNRPSvc
    The Peer Name Resolution Protocol cloud did not start because the creation of the default identity failed with error code: 0x80630801.

7. Error
    Service control manager
    The Peer Name Resolution Protocol service terminated with the following error:
    %%-2140993535

8. Error
    Service control mgr
    The Peer Networking Grouping service depends on the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error:
    %%-2140993535

9.same as 6.

10. Error
    Service control manage
    The Peer Name Resolution Protocol service terminated with the following error:
    %%-2140993535

11. Error
    Service control manager

The Peer Networking Grouping service depends on the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error:
    %%-2140993535

There are then lots of errors very similar to the Service control manager ones, just with slight changes.

25. satrow

Could you try uploading the logs again please, if you zip them first, or wade through the evt file in Notepad and delete anything earlier than, say a month ago, save and zip it then upload?

Failing that, install BluescreenView and upload screenshots from that of the last say, 6 crashes?

26. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I keep getting invalid file when trying to upload the .rar file.

27. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I worked out how to filter the log then make a log of that. Its filtered to the last 7 days.

I think...

Attached Files:

28. satrow

I'm seeing nothing convincing there (a lot of networking 'noise' though), 1 graphics crash and recover - that could be related, otherwise many signs that make me think that crash dumps may not be saved for some reason.

We'll probably need crash dumps uploaded to get more info on what's happening.

Press your Windows key +Pause/Break > Advanced (Advanced System Settings) > Startup and Recovery > System failure section > check 'Write an event ... " and set Write debugging information to "Small memory dump". Then 'ok' your way out, reboot and wait for the next crash.

Then fire up BluescreenView (from an earler post) and it should list your crash dumps, you can then select a dump and get BSV to save the info as a txt file that you can attach to another post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds