PC Froze with installation of Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DigitalSwag, Dec 31, 2005.

1. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

Hello All,

I recently was given a slightly older ABIT AMD motherboard. I am very certain that it is functional as it worked my my friends pc just before he removed it and installed a new one. He has some experience with this in the past and I trust he didn't step on it or anything rediculous.

Specifically it is a "ABIT NF7-M nForce2 MB" a good AMD 1.1gig processor. Good enough. However, I installed it in an older tower I had laying around. Put in the half gig of ddr200 memory that graciously came with it and next to nothing happened.

The pc starts up (black screen stating the following:

Phoenix - AwardBIOS v. 6.00OOPG

MAIN PROCESSOR: AMD Atholon (tm) XP 1100MHz

MEMORY TESTING: 491520k OK + 32M Shared Memory

MEMORY FREQUENCY FOR DDR200

PRIMARY MASTER: ST320413A 3.05

PRIMARY SLAVE: CRD-8483B 1.02

SECONDARY MASTER: CREATIVE CD-RW RW8438E FC03

SECONDARY SLAVE: None

PRIMARY IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed

CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded

Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP

01/22/2003 - nVIDIA-nFORCE - 6A61BA1AC-15

*** That is all that happens. The PC does not respond. I can NOT get it to "continue" by depressing the "F1" key nor can I get it to enter SETUP by depressing the "DEL" key. Another option appears on the screen while powering up stating that I can use "(ALT) + (F2) to enter AWDFLASH" this disapears on a litterally a second. I know that Awdflash is one of the files for download that accompanys the BIOS upgrade at the ABIT website.

My problems is that I can not effect any functionality from this pc. I can't enter BIOS not Windows. In fact it is almost as if the darned keyboard is unplugged.... and yes - I have checked all of the cables.

I hope I have not been too - too specific. I am hoping to fix this pc for my step daughter to use however, things arn't looking too good at the moment.

If anyone can help I will be eternally greatful and give you as many gmail accounts as your hears desires... If you want them?

Thanks,

DigitalSwag:eek:

2. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

Re: PC Frooze with installation of Motherboard

Additional information:

I realize my spelling leaves something to be desired. None the less - I am stuck on that darned Back screen offering me the BIOS or SETUP but it just hangs there... it's been on that screen for a couple of hours now.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Tell me do you have everything installed already, if so lets start out by just having the motherboard hooked up with the one stick of ram with the video card, and let's see if you can get into the bios then.

4. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

Yes everything is installed except the Video card. There really isn't much in the pc actually. I was just working of the motherboard. Then I yanked my Nvidea Gforce 3/64MB out of my dell (the one I'm typing on now) and stuck it in there. That didn't change a thing. It seems just plain old stuck. I will take one chip out of the #2 DIM and leave only a single chip in the #3DIMM. According the the ABIT website I must put memorry chips in reverse order meaning #3 (is first), #2 (second), and #1 (last- which I don't even have that much memory so - it's a moot point.

I'll have this done in about 5 minutes. I hope your still around... However it is New Year's Eve - I'll expect you may possibly be out. However, I'll be back in five.

5. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Also try resetting the cmos on the motherboard. There should be jumpers by the battery on the board. Turn off and unplug the powersupply and move the jumper and leave it for 30 to 40 seconds then put it back like it was. Be sure to gound yourself on bare metal before you enter the inside of the case, the power supply is what i usually touch.

6. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

I did reset the CMOS (no help). Pulling out one Memory stick didn't change anthything. When I restarted the screen did display that there was half the amount of memory but, thats it... Any other thoughts?

7. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

are all of the power cabels in snug the 20 pin and the four pin, Is the processor seated good, also reinstall the heatsink if you have anymore thermal paste

8. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

I signed onto Yahoo messenger "DigitalSwag@yahoo.com" is the name. If it's easier.
    :confused:

9. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

I actually received the motherboard with the processor installed from a friend. This processor was working fine in his pc. He simply upgraded to an FX-55 AMD. So - he sold me this one for cheap.

I don't have thermal paste (sorry). Everything on the board seemed to be well seated and nothing appeared loose. I am no expert (for certain) however, I have taken apart and put together several towers and two notebooks without incident so. Just saying so - this way you'll know I'm not running my magnatized screwdrivers over the motherboard or anything.

10. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Yeah I could Tell by your post you have knowlege of computers somtimes it is the matter of eliminating and ground your self with that screw driver.

11. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Some times if i run into problems like your having and i am stuck i just take everything out and start over. also what brand power supply are you using.

12. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

The Power supply is "Deer Computer Company" litterally. It is 250watts. It's not powerful but - it should run basic pc for websurfing, and word docs... or so I thought.

Let me know what you think. I may very well dismantle the entire thing and rebuild.

13. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

What are the amps on the 3 5 and 12v line should be on the side of the power supply

14. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

Under the voltage heading it states the following:

3.3v/10a
    5v/20a
    12v/9a

15. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

HELP!!! Installed New (used) motherboard... and can't get past the BIOS SETUP Screen.

Is there a hardware expert out there who can HELP?

jv

.. is this a hardware issue or????

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds