PC got trashed.

Discussion in 'Software' started by BILLMCC66, Oct 2, 2009.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I will try to make this as short as possible but it's hard to comprehend.

I have just got back online after 3 days of hell.
    I have two PCs running connected by a KVM switch, my main PC and a second just for folding or testing progs i am unsure about.

I was working on the main PC and all was OK, i then clicked the KVM to get into the other PC, the screen came up but it was frozen and nothing was responding keyboard/mouse/reset it was just completely blocked so i held down the panic button until it shut down, i then re-booted but it would not go past the boot selection screen i>e> windows7,Vista,Ubuntu the keyboard would not let me select an OS so it just waited and loaded the OS that was already highlighted, it then went to another screen that said "File: \windows\system32\winload.ex" and that was all it would do.
    I immediately thought ask MGs so i clicked the KVM and OOH S***T If the same thing did not happen on the main PC.
    So i tried all that i know (not a lot) I then thought try a repair with my DVD but the PC would not read from optical, I went into bios and did numerous things eventually getting the opticals working but then came up against the same message "File: \windows\system32\winload.ex" so i tore the two PCs apart and built one with a brand new HDD reinstalled a version of Windows 7 and managed to get the thing to work.
    I then started to connect my HDDs (7 of them) one by one have been completely ruined they are just full of gobbledygook but i have managed to save a lot of my other stuff.(i lost about 1300mb)

I have no idea what caused this and did not think that a virus (if that's what it was??) could travel via a KVM switch but it must be able to do so because i do not believe that both PC could have the same fault within minuets of each other could be coincidence.

Any Ideas.

PS i did not install any new programs or open any unknown files.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Sorry to hear that Bill, I was going to give you a congrats on getting folding going again. I can't help you with your main issue but I can unequivocally state that it's not your KVM as there's no data path for stuff to cross over, if anything did get in then it came in through your router.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Possibly a worm accessing the network (assuming you have default Windows services running) or maybe a power 'brownout' or spike?

Would some fault in the KVM cause this ... ? What make/model is the KVM, Bill?

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

@ Augie No router involved here i am hard wired directly to the modem.

@ Satrow it's a Conceptronic CKVM2UM

One thing i did notice is that the lights on the KVM were flashing as if there was no video signal.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds