PC is freezing shortly after opening windows in regular mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by bostonmass12, Sep 12, 2013.

1. bostonmass12

bostonmass12 Private E-2

Good afternoon, While watching a video on youtube, my pc froze. I was unable to move the mouse or get any response from my keyboard and had to turn off the unit via the power button. When turning the pc back on in regular mode, I can use the pc for about one minute after logging into my windows screen. That is when it freezes again with the same symptoms. I am able to log into windows in safe mode with networking which is where I am presently. I went through the steps suggested by the Major Geeks Malware experts and no malware was found. Their suggestion was I try the Software forum. I am hoping you may have an idea or two. I have an HP G62-435DX Notebook PC. I did attempt to restore to a previous known good login and the same problem occurred. When the problem initially occurred, I had fallen asleep so I am not sure if a windows update of some variety occurred, or something similar.

You guys have helped me before and I am appreciative of this service. Thank you.

2. bostonmass12

bostonmass12 Private E-2

One update - I ran event viewer while in safe mode and my pc froze twice. Both times it occurred about 30 seconds after I opened even viewer. On both occasions, the only option available was to depress the main power button and hold it. I have noticed no other problems in safe mode.

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

This could be darn near anything, but I would start with the drivers, and hardware.

First on the list would be a RAM memory diagnostic, then a hard drive diagnostic for good measure. I'm guessing this laptop is about three years old, so I have to ask if you've kept it updated using the HP site. There have been 4 BIOS updates, and multiple audio and graphics driver updates.

Have you been keeping up with the driver releases?

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

My question here is do you know the full specs please.:confused

What operating system are you running.

5. jimindigo

jimindigo Private E-2

Don't know if it will help,i had same prob for ages,tried drivers,virus scans,updates,
    everything could think of--nothing worked.Do you get a 'windows exp is not responding' message/s? Anyway,THAT'S what it was,windows explorer! I downloaded Explorer ++ and . . .no more freezes,no more browser taking ages to
    start,same with email,what a difference!
    Hope this helps,
    jimindigo

6. bostonmass12

bostonmass12 Private E-2

Thank you for the responses. I have my pc set up to accept updates from HP and Microsoft so I think it was up to date. I took your advice, though, and went to the HP page and started looking for everything I could find. Measures to take, drivers to download, hard drive disc check. I am not sure which of those steps fixed my problem but I am now working normally. I am appreciative of the folks at major geeks. Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds