pc locks up / monitor shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigbri6767, Jan 30, 2007.

1. bigbri6767

bigbri6767 Private E-2

i've always found the answers i've needed in the past here in the forums , but i'm stumped this time.........

i recently upgraded my video card (PCI) and p/s (had to 4 new card)
    everything went smooth for awhile, then this prob started.......

periodically, my pc locks up, the illuminated power button goes dark, the "thinking lite" below it (don't know real name) stays lit solid, and my monitor goes to power saver screen and shuts down (like it normally would when turning off pc).

i later re installed old video card, prob still occured, so i reinstalled old p/s. everything was fine for a while, but the same problem is now re- occuring.

at first it was once in a while but is now happening more often.

when i press and hold power button pc shuts down and restart seems normal

please let me know what other info to post

thanx in advance !!!!

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Since the problem occurs with two video cards and two psu units I would look elsewhere.
    Locking up, shutting down and restarting are all symptoms that can occur with a memory hardware fault. There are several current threads devoted to this. Work through the advice.
    The problem can also be caused by dodgy video drivers(a software issue). When you put the old card back in did you remove the drivers for the new card or are they still there? You can identify them through device manager.
    Remove them and try the old card again. If this works look for updated drivers for the new card.
    You state that the new card is PCI ?
    Why not AGP? Is the AGP turned on in the BIOS?
    What is the motherboard and operating system?

Studio T

3. bigbri6767

bigbri6767 Private E-2

thank you for responding....

i did uninstall drivers with each video card swap, reinstalled card using supplied drivers and then updated them. funny u mention this cuz when i first installed new card and updated to latest driver i had some video probs (windows media player wouldnt play video, but sound was ok), nVidia tech support had me roll back to an older driver and that solved the prob.

mobo is a Trigem Imperial GV, only has PCI slots, integrated video in mobo is disabled

win xp home, sp2

thanx again !!!!

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you have genuinely removed all traces of the new drivers then it would suggest memory. How are those tests going?

However I am still suspicious of the drivers as a result of you remark 'when i first installed new card and updated to latest driver i had some video probs '.

Can you use System Restore to take you back to a time before the new card? or even to system first for a test?

5. bigbri6767

bigbri6767 Private E-2

STUDIO, thanks again for your time

i'll be away from my pc till tonite, will post again soon

would removing video card and running for a while with onboard video control be a worthwhile test ??

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I suggested using system restore, not roll back drivers as you mentioned, because it genuinely resets registry settings, removes drivers and associated files and links in a reversible manner. Unless you can do this (difficult manually) any test with another graphics card or onboard chip will not be conclusive as there may still be some settings left over from the troublesome card.
    If you can find a past configuration (even the very first time XP was booted) which works, you will know the rest of the pc is OK. If not you can restore forwards to today and carry on looking elsewhere.
    By the way PCI graphics cards should be installed in the slot nearest the processor, but are sometimes temperemental and will only work properly in a particular slot. Room for experimentation here.

Studio T

7. bigbri6767

bigbri6767 Private E-2

my system restore only goes back 90 days, it was further back that when i first installed new video card and psu. only 90 days... do i have something set wrong ??

am running mem tests now will post soon

8. bigbri6767

bigbri6767 Private E-2

ran Memtest86+ v1.70 for 9 1/2 hrs last nite w/ no errors...............

this is the system info the test displayed

Celeron (0.13) 2691MHz
    L1 cache 8k 22060mb/s
    L2 cache 128k 18820 mb/s
    Memory 1278M 891mb/s
    chipset: Intel i845e/g/pe/ge (ecc:disabled) / FSB 99MHz

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds