PC NOW VERY SLOW...Followed advice in my prev. post...new problem related?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bee bee, Feb 27, 2009.

1. bee bee

bee bee Private E-2

Hello,

PC NOW VERY SLOW...Followed advice from my previous post...is new problem related?

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=183153

I am now having new problems. I didn't know if I should post here or in Malware Forum. My computer is now running slower than ever. Especially start-up and very slow when I open Mozilla...takes forever. Touch Pad scroll is acting odd.

I think I've really screwed something up and I don't want to download any other programs to try and fix issue without some expert advice. This is my new computer and I'm now sick and scared. What've I done:cry

Here is what I have done...I'm including anything I think could have caused this:

I downloaded PC-Decrapifier & ExterminateIt. I didn't use ExterminateIt. Downloaded CCleanerSlim to prepare for registry clean.
    I followed advice from thread link above and got rid of files:
    Searched for all AOL and deleted those files (the ones that Decrapifier did not get).
    I deleted some other files in Desktop\(my name)\Documents & Desktop\(my name)\TEMP...like pictures, zip, exe files from programs I downloaded. I also deleted a video.
    Ran Registry cleaner, Restarted

After doing the previous it came to my attention, that even after uninstalling MagicDVDcopier & MagicDVDripper (via. control panel) & registry clean, restart... they were still in Program Files(x86) and DeskTop(hidden). So, I deleted these files.

Cleaned registry again.
    I also emptied/deleted(permanent w/CCleaner option) the recycle bin and removed cookies w/CCleaner.
    Restart.

I installed SpywareBlaster and enabled all updates.

I ran msconfig. and I don't have anything abnormal running at start-up...I did disable MicrosoftMessengerLive at startup.

Oh..I uninstalled ExterminateIt and the program refused to go away...I then removed w/ccleaner.

Can uninstalling Nero 9 trial version cause slow computer start-up and function?

WindowsLiveOneCare does want to back-up currently and WindowsLive OneCare won't ever completely defragment the hard drive. It says this is do to excessive fragmentation on C:\ drive. (I was getting the same error regarding the registry until I used another registry cleaner).
    When I try to back-up I get errors writing to DVD-DL's and was trying to resolve that issue before I hooked up external hard drive and did the full back-up (I was anticipating errors doing that also). SONY tech.sup. had me do a Hard Reset, remove some lower registry values, and BIOS reset. This did not solve my problems backing up to DVD-DL...4 more down the tubes.
    *I mentioned this because I don't know if my issue is something compounding and it could be related to the slow computer start and slow browsing/slow function overall.

PLEASE HELP...I know this is a lot of ambig. info I'm regurgitating...I've done a lot (unsupervised).

Do I need to install Hijack This and run it?? I don't know if I should restore system to a previous point?? AHH :hammer
    I'm spinning!

Thanks in advance for some helpful direction.

-L.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

Have you sunr through the Malware guide? This will rule out any nasties causing the problem

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds