PC Powers on and immediately shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dobranoc, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Dobranoc

Dobranoc Private E-2

Hi all,

So I power my PC on and it shuts off within half a second. The fans spin, LED's light up. I have to pull the power cable out and wait for the greenlight on the mobo to go out then plug it back in and hit the power button for it to even do all that. I've tried Reseating everything, checked for loose screws on mobo, tried plugging it into different sockets. I recently changed the thermal paste on my processor/heatsink if that gives any indication. i cleaned it off and redid it so i dont think that is the issue. I also have the green light on my mobo indicating there is power, so i dont think its my PSU. :confused Oh and right before it failed i was having issues with my hard drives failing. i have two, one would work then die, then the other one would work and the one i thought was good would cease to work. I want to try all possible solutions before i start replacing things as i cant afford it.

Any input will be much appreciated. thank you. :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. rwandrew077

rwandrew077 Private E-2

It sounds like the power supply is failing. Would you have another to swap out, or a meter to test the original one? This is where I would check at this point

3. Dobranoc

Dobranoc Private E-2

Thanks rwandrew077

sadly i don't but i'm sure i could get a meter. I'll check it out and let you know what i come up with. So you think its the power supply even thought the light on the mobo is on? any reason why it would do that?

4. rwandrew077

rwandrew077 Private E-2

Oh yes, just because that light is on does not mean it is functioning properly. If it is not outputting the correct power amounts, things will fail. All that you describe sounds like a failing power supply. The first thing I would do is test the PS, if for nothing than to rule it out as a problem.

5. Dobranoc

Dobranoc Private E-2

So even if it wont stay powerd for more than a second the tester will tell me whats wrong with it? I will look into getting one if i can find it for cheap. I saw one on bestbuy but thats 40$ i might be better off getting a new PSU :p

6. rwandrew077

rwandrew077 Private E-2

yes, a new PS would be about the same...and if it is not staying on long enough to test...well...that would seem to be a PS Problem in itself :)

And it is an easy enough replacement as well. 4 screws and a few plugs

7. Dobranoc

Dobranoc Private E-2

It's actually about time that thing failed on me haha. Thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it :D

8. rwandrew077

rwandrew077 Private E-2

Keep me posted on how it goes :)

9. Dobranoc

Dobranoc Private E-2

Will do

10. Dobranoc

Dobranoc Private E-2

Buying a new Power supply today i guess that was the issue. I posted a problem with my hardrives too. Its one thing after another with this beast haha.

11. rwandrew077

rwandrew077 Private E-2

Good Luck...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds