PC powers up, but nothing on monitor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xocal, Mar 31, 2010.

1. xocal

xocal Private E-2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC appears to start ok, in that I can hear the drives running, but monitor doesn't light up. When I press the monitor button(Dell), get message "Monitor is in Power save mode, Activate using PC"
    Have tried starting up with F1 pressed, still nothing showing.
    Have inserted an audio cd, can hear it power up, but no sound.
    Am using a Benq keyboard which does not have icons on the F keys so don't know what keyboard combination could enable me to get out of power save mode.
    Any help appreciated.

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Try booting using onboard video via your motherboard (presuming you have a video card).

Post the results and i will advise you from there.

3. xocal

xocal Private E-2

Thanks for speedy reply! but don't understand "Try booting using onboard video via your motherboard (presuming you have a video card)."

but since posting, tried variety of switch on procedures i.e held push on button and turned on power switch, got 3 lights on keyboard, then a single beep and PC powered up fully to full desktop screen and mouse arrow showing, but then everything froze with hour glass on the arrow.
    Tried restart several times and finally got it to start to the same freeze up result! and it is still frozen!!

4. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

http://www.acrcomputers.co.uk/img/plugs/pcback.jpg

Where the pic says, "VGA Port" is the onboard video port.

Where it says "Expansion slots" is where your video card would go.

Please try booting using onboard if you are currently using your Video Card.

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

If you don't have a PCI/AGP video card you may want to try a different monitor with different vga cable. If that still doesn't work the onboard video may be gone.

What is the model of the pc?

6. xocal

xocal Private E-2

Thanks for that, but how do I boot from the vga port or from my video card?
    Don't forget that I have a blank monitor and no control of my keyboard!

I have an external cd/rw drive which connects through a usb port! is there any way I could boot through this? I have tried it, but don't know what procedure
    to use, if there is one!

7. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

By "boot" i mean use.

Just plug your monitor into the VGA Port on your Motherboard.

As Pclover said, if you don't have a video card, then try another monitor, but unfortunalty it looks like the onboard graphics have died.

8. xocal

xocal Private E-2

9. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Does it look like this? DVI

Please post your Computer make and model number.

BTW - to quote what people have said, press the "Quote" button at the bottom right of the reply.

10. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Try this it MAY work! Let it fully boot up then press F/N + F6, My laptop did that months ago I tried it and it worked for me.

Another thing to try is to make sure the monitor is turned off, then boot up fully then turn the monitor on. The sleep circuit in the monitor may be dying or the video does not have enough poop to trigger it. is not.

? What do you see during initial boot up?

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do the three lights on the keyboard stay lit? If so, I might know why you have no keyboard control and your desktop freezes.

12. xocal

xocal Private E-2

No! occasionally they flash briefly but then go out.

13. xocal

xocal Private E-2

Having read other posts with similar problems, have decided that I have a dicky HDD, which presently is in my freezer, duly wrapped, and from which, if it works, I intend saving files to an 8gb usb memorystick!
    My query now is how/what to save? doing a backup may take too long! so what is the best way to save, and what are the important files to save???

14. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Only you can determine that, put across the ones that you need, or just would rather not lose.

15. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Anything you wish to save can be dragged to the stick in explorer, goes quite quick!

Phil

16. xocal

xocal Private E-2

Thanks to all who contributed, but as the freezer trick didn't work, I guess I may get a replacement HDD. I will install it as a master and try the original as a slave, in the hope that I might be able to read and save from it. Is that a possiblity?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds