PC problems after recent upgrade ;(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jetbomb, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Jetbomb

Jetbomb Private E-2

Hey guys, im a newbie to the forum, and have pretty bad problem on my hands. I just upgraded my PC with a new video card (ATI x1650 AGP), and a few days later my PC...well...died ;(.

I've tried many things, from replacing the video card with spare ones that i have, to replugging EVERYTHING connected to and from the motherboard. Im pretty nooby at these things, and so i need some help before i go out and spend money for no reason. Heres my PC's specs:

Motherboard - Asus P4P800-E deluxe
    Processor - All i know is that it's a P4 2.8 ghz
    Video Card - ATI x1650 AGP
    Hard Drives - 2 Maxtors (dont really know their specs)
    DVD - One malfunctioning black LG burner and a functioning white reader (dont know who the manufacturer is)
    Power Supply - Antec True 430 (430w)
    RAM - (no stickers) Forgot, but i think its 2 gb (4 in place)

I would like to note that my power supply COULD have been affected, possibly due to the major power that all of the parts required.

Please, help a noob out.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

What is the make and model of the machine in question?

3. Jetbomb

Jetbomb Private E-2

Ugh after all the upgrading this thing got, it should just be known as a custom PC.
    The motherboard is from ASUS, but the case is an ANTEC. I bought this computer awhile ago from my friend, but it already had this motherboard and case, so im not exactly sure what model/make it is. I know that the motherboard is ASUS, but thats basically it.

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Does the fans inside spin when powering up?
    Does the lights on the front come on?
    Try using the onboard integrated graphics.
    Disconnect and reconnect the power cord from the back to ensure connection.

5. Jetbomb

Jetbomb Private E-2

All together, my pc has 5 fans: 2 cooling fans, the processor fan, the video card fan, and the power supply fan, All of which are working fine.
    There is a green light at the bottom, which turns on when i plug the computer in. I've tried replugging, but theres no difference. Also, either my motherboard has no integrated video, or i have no idea how to use that instead of the card.

One thing i may have forgotten to mention: Everything powers on, but theres no video coming out, no matter how many graphics cards or VGA cables i use. I would think that it's the monitor, but i tried with another monitor and nothing happened.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Your motherboard most likely has got integrated graphics. Most are color coded.Look for a blue connector along the back of the motherboard.

7. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

So it does power on?
    Are there any funky smells if it powers itself down?
    Is there a fan on your graphics card & is it spinning? Same for the CPU?
    Are there any beeps when you power on? If not you may wanna check to see if there is a speaker attached to the mobo, it will be in the same place as the front power button etc are connected. You can get beep codes from them you see.

No video output hrm, the card could be DOA :confused

:major2-Bit-Geek:major

8. Jetbomb

Jetbomb Private E-2

Ive tried other video cards, so i know that this card isnt DOA.
    I dont hear any beeps (no start-up beeps, and no failure beeps).
    Also, all of the fans spin, though imo i think that the processor fan is spinning a tad slower than it used to.
    As for the blue connector, i only see one that isn't in use.

This is a picture of the MOBO
    [​IMG]

This is the blue connector, but i think this serves a different purpose.
    [​IMG]

PS: I unplugged some things so the MOBO could be easier to see.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. Jetbomb

Jetbomb Private E-2

i just posted some pics but i guess the post got deleted...
    it doesnt smell wierd or anything, but it DID smell wierd right before all of this started happening.

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Sounds like the video part of your motherboard got fried.

11. Jetbomb

Jetbomb Private E-2

Ugh...
    Any idea what i should do?

PS the video card gtets hot and the fan works

12. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Question: If you take out the graphics card, plug in and turn on your speakers, and boot the computer, do you hear the Windows start-up chime?

I've had that motherboard in my back-up system for over four years (it used to be the main, before a new computer was purchased), and it is running rock solid and beautiful. Your friend sold you some good hardware. ;)

Oh, and no, there is no integrated video. Your AGP slot might be kaputt gegangen though... which would suck.

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I have always thought that all boards had onboard graphics. Learn something new every day.

14. Jetbomb

Jetbomb Private E-2

WTF?!!
    This is a first...
    I plugged my speaks in and removed the video card, and guess what im hearing loop over and over through my speakers...
    A women is saying " System failed CPU test "
    though im not happy with the situation... LOL..
    So what now?

15. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Told you it's a good motherboard! ;) It seriously tries its best to tell you what the problem is.

Bad news: Your CPU has issues.
    Good news: New CPU will probably solve all your problems.

16. Jetbomb

Jetbomb Private E-2

YAY!! A CPU is cheaper than a mobo, so no biggie there.
    And now, Thanks go out to everybody!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds