PC problems - suspected virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by bazza9, Jul 27, 2008.

1. bazza9

bazza9 Private E-2

Hi there,

I found this forum as I was looking to try and solve some problems that I've been having with my PC. My PC is running Windows XP and the problem started to occur a few days ago. I'd be grateful for any help that you guys can offer.

The problems take two main forms:

1. When I try to use the 'Start' button at the bottom-left of the screen in order to open a program, I receive this error message: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." This message sometimes appears before I've selected a program to open - it sometimes occurs as I'm opening the program from the start menu. One way or the other, it always appears.

2. The other problem occurs with Internet Explorer, which now frequently closes with the message: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." This occurs frequently - one way to guarantee that it will happen will be if I try to use the 'Links' button (I'm using Internet Explorer 6) - if I use the 'Links' button to choose something Windows Media (for example - it doesn't matter what I choose) then Internet Explorer exits with this error.

I'm also seeing fairly frequent 'Blue Screen' errors.

In order to tackle the problem, I've through all of the steps in your "READ AND RUN ME FIRST" guide, with one exception - I couldn't run combofix as my PC produced a Blue Screen error each time and crashed.

I've included the log files below in the hope that somebody might have some ideas, because I'm stumped!

The PC was working fine one day and then started running into these problems the next. The previous day I had received some automatic Windows updates, a Quicktime update and a new version of AVG (AVG Free 8.0 - I had previously been running AVG 7.5). I've no idea whether any of these contributed to the problem, or whether it was just a coincidence that I started having issues.

Many thanks in advance for your time and any help that you can offer.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Attached Files:

2. bazza9

bazza9 Private E-2

Log files attached

Just to say that I don't think my original posting title was probably very useful!

I've attached the log files relating to my problem - hopefully somebody will be able to see what the problem is.

Thanks,

Keith

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Based on your logs and your symptoms, your problems do not appear to be malware related. As such, I will be moving this thread to the Software Forum. I suggest that you uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes right now since a System Restore could be in your near future.

It would be a good idea for you to test whether your problems occur in Safe Boot mode and it would also be a good idea to check out your Event Viewer logs to see what info can be found about the application crashes. See the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

post the first alphanumeric string (like 0x000000##) we need to see what is in place at ##; that helps troubleshoot the problem.

If you are getting diferent errors all the time, that could be a sign that a stick of RAM is failing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds